We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many ships in one day?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Too many ships in one day?

Has anyone done the USS Midway and the Maritime Museum in the same day? I'm thinking it might be boat overload? If you had to pick one which would it be?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,251 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many ships in one day?

It really depends on your energy level and interests. They are all close to one another and are very different types of ships! The USS Midway is an aircraft carrier so it also has planes on it.

The Maritime Museum has an old sailing ship and a Russian submarine sooooo whatever interests you more is the place you should visit. I would expect that the Midway might take longer if you go to all the nooks and crannies!!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many ships in one day?

I would say they are both half day attractions, I would start with the USS Midway, get there early, head straight to the Flight Deck and do it first, then explore the rest of the carrier. (The Flight Deck tour line can get long, so why you should do it first). Ten have lunch, maybe Anthony's Fish Grotto, which is on the pier and between the two locations. Then do the Maritime Museum.

I think it is a great day, and not too many ships.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many ships in one day?

Hi,

You could easily spend 3-5 hours on the USS Midway, between all the spaces you can visit and some of the docent-led talks and programs that are happening. Plus, you can spend some time just enjoying the view from the flight deck--it's a unique perspective of San Diego harbor. You can get an overview in two hours or so if you're pressed for time.

You could probably do the Maritime Museum with its several ships in 1.5 - 3 hours depending on your interest level.

Zed

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many ships in one day?

I think we'll start with the USS Midway (good hint about the flight deck tour lines) and then see how we feel.

I'm going for my husband...we went to the USS Intrepid in New York maybe 25 years ago, I'm afraid (for me) it might be too similar?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many ships in one day?

If you don't really want to go I'd let your husbank go to the USS Midway. Just a few mins walk across the street is the new restaurant / shop center called The Headquarters and next door to that is Seaport Village. Even if you don't shop it's a pleasant place to walk around, have a bite to eat / drink, people watch and enjoy the water activity on the Bay and Marina. You are also only about a 10 min walk to the heart of Downtown. So you could certainly keep busy.

http://www.theheadquarters.com/

http://goo.gl/maps/jo6NZ

http://www.seaportvillage.com/

Or, next door to the USS Midway is the Ferry stop. You could take the 15 mins Ferry across to Coronado.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 20:55
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many ships in one day?

Thanks for the links, but I'll go with him (I know I sounded like I didn't want to). Good links for lunch, though.

7. Re: Too many ships in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:18