We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hornblower

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
874 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Hornblower

We'll be in San Diego for a week early March. Are considering either a sightseeing, Whale watching, or dinner cruise for one day. Any feedback on this time of the year and which might be best. We'd enjoy all three, just want to get out on the water. Also, any feedback on waiting to book until we know the weather a little better as to the day. We've never used this company before so not sure of this time of the year and how full they normally are. (There will be three couples going). Thanks in advance.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hornblower

I'd wait until you are here to see the weather.

I'd either do the harbor sightseeing tour or whale watching . Be aware that for whale watching you go out into the open ocean so if folks are prone to seasickness I'd take a pill before the cruise. I think there are better places to eat dinner than on this sort of cruise.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hornblower

Hi,

I did the Hornblower 2-hour harbor cruise with out of town guests back in October, and it was quite pleasant.

You can also do 1-hour cruises, too. They split the bay into two halves.

The northern half will take you past the more scenic areas of the bay--Harbor Island, Shelter Island, and all the way to Ballast Point on Point Loma.

The southern cruise takes you past a more military / industrial area--the Marine Terminal, under the Coronado Bridge, and past all the ships at the 32nd Street Naval Base.

If you're pressed for time and not really interested in seeing ships and shipyards, I'd just do the northern cruise.

A crew member narrates what you're seeing as you sail past. There's also a small snack bar on board where you can buy beer, sodas (not sure about wine--don't remember), chips, and nachos.

When you board, photographers will hit you up for a souvenir photo that you can pick up when you disembark. My friends wanted one and I think they shelled out $20 or so for it. Too pricey for me. Take your own camera and snap lots more photos of your own for free.

Go to the San Diego Visitor Information Center right at Broadway Street Pier and pay for your tickets there on the day you intend to go. They'll give you a $4 discount per person off the price. (They give you a voucher that you then have to exchange for a ticket at the Hornblower ticket window.)

Zed

Edited: 14 January 2014, 15:15
LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
874 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hornblower

Thanks for the help, Zed. We'll be staying at the Navy Lodge on Coronado , and won't be pressed for time . Just haven't checked into the weather there in March.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hornblower

I'd definitely wait until your here to get your tickets. You can usually find discount coupons online for both Hornblower and Flagship. I've seen them on their websites sometimes. You can do the 1 or 2 hr harbor cruise. They also do brunch and weekend dinner cruises. In all cases it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

http://www.sandiego.org/coupons.aspx

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hornblower

We did the Hornblower 1 hour southern cruise in March 2003 during our first trip with a coach party. It was a bright day and I loved sailing under the Coronado Bridge and seeing all the naval boats. The sightseeing commentary was done by a old naval sea dog who is probably doing the same jokes 11 years later.

6. Re: Hornblower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17