We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Bruges, Belgium
5 posts
Save Topic
San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Hello all,

We're arriving late at SD the 31 january, so the holiday-work week begins 1 febr-5 febr :) (we're returning on the 8th)

It's the first time we're coming to SD, so can someone tell us what to see. We're mid 30ies, and will be renting a car. (sports-)Bars, beaches, sightseeing (no museums :) ), whatever.

I've already went through this forum, so Gaslamp district, Little Italy, pacific and ocean beach are already known ;)

Also, my friend likes Irisch pubs, so which Irisch pub we should really visit.

We also search some really local bars, pubs...to meet and see the real SD-people :)

Are there any special activities to see/do at that time. What kind of weather can we expect ? Will it be possible to swim ? :)

We're staying at the town Del Mar, no other possibilities.

Sports : is there any collegebasket(mens/women) going on that time ?

thanks for all the help.

Mentioned in this post
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,511 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Hi,

Welcome to San Diego.

Del Mar is a nice beachside community, but it will be a good 40 to 60 minute drive into downtown or Coronado depending on the traffic

For sports, you will be here on Superbowl Sunday, 2 February. Pretty much any and every bar in the city will likely have the game on, so you can watch the ultimate football game. On 1 February, the San Diego State University Aztecs basketball team plays a game at 4:30 PM.

http://sandiegostate.rivals.com/bschedule.asp

Pacific Beach will have lots of bars and restaurants for you to check out.

For an Irish pub, check out McP's on Coronado.

This winter has been warmer than usual but you can expect temperatures to be in the 18°C to 22°C range. Water temperatures will be around 15°C--too cold for me. :-)

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

P.S. Superbowl Sunday, I'm sure the police will be out looking for too many people who have been drinking and driving. Make sure one of you is the designated driver and doesn't drink during the game.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 17:34
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,027 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

a small neighborhood irish pub that use to be fun...the blarney stone pub in the claremeont district of san diego. not close to any tourist destinations but if you happen to be at mission bay...it's just sort of up the hill a couple of miles.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Where in Del Mar is your hotel? You mention going to bars, pubs, etc. a few times. Knowing that will help to direct you to places close by and hopefully you won't have to drive Del Mar isn't known for it's bar scene like Pacific Beach and the Gaslamp so that means you'll have to drive to get to one. So be very, very careful. Someone will have to be the designated driver and not drink. Del Mar is about a 30 min drive to the Gaslamp.

Yes, there are restaurants & bars in Del Mar and I'd stick with those if you both want to drink.

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,027 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

I am a fan of the Blarney Stone, as mentioned, stuck in a shopping mall, but a fun Irish Pub.

yelp.com/biz/the-blarney-stone-pub-san-diego

As for the NCAA Game, the San Diego State Aztecs are in the top ten in the rankings, with just one loss, so the team is popular, and Viejas Arena is known as one of the best fan experiences in College Basketball, with lots of students in attendance making the facility loud and vibrant. I would book tickets for the Saturday game ASAP.

ticketmaster.com/San-Diego-State-Aztecs-Mens…

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Viejas Arena
Viejas Arena
18 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Bruges, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Hi SD-helpers, thanks for the help !

Already we (friend & I ) know that :

Saturday is a NCAA game :). Is it possible to get tickets at the arena ? Love to,see it !

Superbowl sunday....we need to find a real SD sportsbar ! Even it's just to see the half time show of the RHCP ...did some research... (Looking forword to it !!! :) )

Driving : how much costs a cab from del mar till SD gaslamp ? Just in case ;)

Temperatures : veryyyyyy nice, I 'll need to buy some shorts, esven for a swim , here it's max about 10°Celius, and lots of rain...

I'm really looking forward to this trip !

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Gamer <<Driving : how much costs a cab from del mar till SD gaslamp ? Just in case ;)>>

Once again, Where is your hotel in Del Mar?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

I gave the link to the Aztecs tickets in post #4. Great thing, tickets now are pretty much print at home, and just show the barcode to enter the facility. No shipping, no hassles.

Sine the main Horse Racing track in the area is located in Del Mar, plenty f Sports Bars near your accommodations.

Jimmy O's is well known.

http://www.jimmyosbardelmar.com/

I like Oggi's Pizza and Brewery, they have a nice location in Del Mar.

http://delmar.oggis.com/

As for the weather, right now it is shorts weather, and they think it will last for a couple of weeks, so no guarantees, but yes, bring a pair, or plan to buy one when you arrive.

Have a great time, enjoy your trip, and GO Aztecs!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

From the Village of Del Mar a taxi is approx $70 one way.

http://tinyurl.com/km2sueo

Note that many hotels that have Del Mar in their name aren't near or in the Village.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:43
Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Bruges, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

Sorry forgot to tell, we're at the Doubletree by hill @ SD (del mar ?).

For the ncaa game, will it be possible to buy tickets at the arena? Because we arrive on friday, day travel from Belgium, and maybe we'll be to tired to go and see the game at 4Pm... (You'll never know) so it would be be a shame to have bought the tickets and not assisting the game.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego trip 1 february- 05 febr

As mentioned, the Aztecs are HOT right now, so no guarantees on if any tickets will be remaining. In fact, the game is already officially sold out, so you will need to buy on the resell market. You might want to try and see if any area available when you arrive and print out at your hotel prior to making the trip to the Viejas Arena on campus.

https:/…

As for the location of your Hotel, you are in the middle of an Industrial Business Park area, next to major freeways, not bad for a place to sleep and shower, but not much in the immediate area.

Mentioned in this post
Viejas Arena
Viejas Arena
18 Reviews
San Diego, CA