We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town

Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Old Town

Is Old Town a good place to stay? Central? Close to restaurants and shops? Safe? We will have a car?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town

It's centrally located and safe.

The only issue I have is that it is 'very' touristy. Every shop has all the tourist schlock hanging from the rafters. You can buy just about everything with the words 'San Diego' or 'Old Town San Diego' written on it. There are a few more craft shops with art work and pottery that are nice. Very crowded on the weekends and different times of the year. I was just there a couple of weeks ago for dinner early on a Sat, 5:30. It was packed with people driving around looking for parking. Parking wouldn't affect you staying there - I'm just pointing out how busy it gets. Most of the restaurants cater to tourists passing through so many don't have the greatest food.

It does have historical sites to visit which are interesting.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town

Yes, it is Central but somewhat inland. Many visitors opt to stay in the area.

http://www.oldtownsandiego.org/

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=663

http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com/

Great are for families, at the merge of the I-5 and I-8, so easy access to the rest of the city and county.

The area is safe, and plenty of restaurants. I like Perry's Café for a classic old school breakfast.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,555 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town

Wouldn't be my first pick, but it is a safe area.

What is your budget and what are your interests?

Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town

We are travelling all along the coast and have a number of days by the beach in Morro Bay and Pacific Grove so it's not important to be by the beach for this part of our vacation. In San Diego, we will go to the Zoo and Aquatica. Will take a day trip to La Jolla. Want to have access to shops and restaurants. Don't mind touristy areas. Will be there July 4th so recommendations for fireworks also appreciated.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Town

For fireworks, why not buy a combo ticket, as Aquatica is owned by SeaWorld, and SeaWorld does an awesome 4th of July Fireworks show, and close to Old Town.

Plenty of shops and restaurants in the Old Town area as mentioned above, check out the links.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,845 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Town

I live 5 minutes from there, but haven't been in probably 3 years. It's perfectly safe, but there is nothing exciting there. Below average restaurants, tourists, chain hotels and worse motels, etc.

We have great areas to spend your time in here, no need to do that in Old Town.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Town

Be aware that the "beaches" in Pacific Grove and Morro Bay are not going to be as warm nor as long and wide as the beaches in San Diego. I would not choose Old Town as a place to stay, personally. It is one of those places, to me, where I like to "visit" but wouldn't want to "live" there, if you know what I mean.

Brantford, Ontario...
Level Contributor
112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Town

So what area would you recommend that we stay? Don't want to pay more than $150 per night.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Town

I don't live in San Diego, but locals here often recommend La Pensione....I think maybe it is in Little Italy? They can confirm or deny :~).

lapensionehotel6-px.trvlclick.com/…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,555 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Town

Yes, La Pensione in Little Italy or the Best Western Plus Bayside would both be better than Old Town. Check the Four Points Little Italy as well.