We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
37 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

Help!! We're trying to decide where to stay in Calif. either the Pacific Beach or the Gaslamp district.

We're mature ladies wanting to take in some sights and to relax. We'd like to see "Hollywood" and of course one day visit the touristy stuff there. We'll rent a car but only have a week and want to relax as well....which do you recommend?We're planning well ahead...August 2014.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

Pacific Beach is right next to the Pacific Ocean and is a beach community.

The Gaslamp District is part of the Downtown area, next to the PETCO Park baseball stadium and the San Diego Convention Center. Lots of bars and restaurants in the area. Much more of an Urban Feel.

So it depends what you want, to wake up hearing the waves and smelling the salt air, or stay downtown.

That depends on what you prefer.

FYI, Hollywood is located in the city of Los Angeles, so a long drive for a day trip, or you can opt for the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train, but with connections, you are looking at over 3 hours each way.

Here is a good list of things to see and do in San Diego.

www.sandiego.org

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

Hi cordebo - Welcome to San Diego!

The main reason why people look to choose between those two locations is for nightlife. What kind of nightlife do you want to have in walking distance to your hotel at night?

Pacific Beach, of course, has the beach and boardwalk. The Gaslamp has no beach only the Bay & Marina but is close to the beautiful beach on Coronado. If nightlife isn't a huge deal for you, you might look at staying in either Coronado or the Village of La Jolla.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

For mature ladies I'd pick Coronado first, The Gaslamp is for the immature ladies and Pacific Beach can go either way.

I'd also take La Jolla over Pacific Beach and probably South Mission Beach as well.

What is your budget? Will you consider a vacation rental?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

yes...what is your budget. unless you want to hang out at bars, i would never stay in the gaslamp. if i'm going to a coastal city, i want to see waves, sand, sunsets. i'd pick pacific beach...wake up, walk along the boardwalk, go grab something for breakfast and sit on the beach. lots of places to rent bikes, roller blades...there is a nice bay side just a few blocks from the ocean. watch the sunsets. coronado is a nice place too. less active then pacific beach. great place to bike around. there is a ferry from coronado to downtown so you could explore that area easily. as mentioned above...the question is asked often...do you want beach atmospher at pacific beach or shopping, bars and restaurants with no beach...gaslamp.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

agree with most of the above....pretty much your choice comes down to beach or urban (though I would argue downtown San Diego/Gaslamp is more suburban dressed up as a city).

Pacific Beach gets a rap as being a college town--which in parts (i.e. Garnett Avenue bars) it is; however, I am a 50 something and usually run into more people my age, or closer to it, whom I end up talking to than I do downtown/Gaslamp, where I live.

La Jolla might not be a bad option as suggested above....you'll still get the beach, a nice downtown village area with nice restaurants and bars with a more mature, more successful crowd than you will find in Pacific Beach or the Gaslamp, and they have boutiques and art galleries to check out during the day if you get bored of the beach....you can also rent a bicycle and ride south about 30 minutes and check out Pacific Beach while getting in some exercise at the same time or take a kayak tour in the ocean....up the road, especially with car, is the quaint town of Del Mar which is upscale and also suited to a more mature, sophisticated audience..

Edited: 24 January 2014, 02:05
6. Re: Pacific Beach or Gaslamp district??????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:22