We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
First Time to CA - need lodging recs

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 toddlers looking to visit the San Diego area in March. Would like to visit the Zoo, Safari Park, the beach, USS Midway, and Legoland. Since this is our first trip to the area, I'd like some suggestions on length of stay and what area to look in for lodging in San Diego and Carlsbad. We will have a rental car and will go out for some meals, but like having flexibility of preparing own meals.

For SD:

- Like a place with kitchen and separate area for kids to sleep. Any hotels/resorts that fit bill? Or is rental best bet? What area to look?

- Kids still nap, so need place that's close to areas that we'll be visiting so we can easily drive back and forth.

-Beach view or on beach a plus

-Not sure on budget yet, but not Del Villas expensive

Pretty much same requirements for Carlsbad lodging. Is 2 days there enough?

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

For Carlsbad since it is only 1 or 2 nights (think in nights not days since days overlap) I'd stay at the Legoland Hotel and they have great packages.

In San Diego the Marriott Residence Inns have full kitchens and separate bedrooms (assuming you get a room configured that way) and you could look at the ones on Pacific Highway and in Hotel Circle. Each location has pluses and minuses so I'd check the reviews.

I'd also look at the Sommerset Suites.

http://www.sommersetsuites.com/roomsuites.php

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Hi Fuzeon !

A very popular place for familes is the Homewood Suites Liberty Station. Great location with some casual restaurants next door and more a very short distance. The hotel offers Free Parking (unusual), Free Breakfast and during the week Free Dinners / Drinks. Also next door is a huge park with 2 playgrounds. One for toddlers and one for older kids. It's also nice because you can see the water. No beach but it's only about a 10 or 15 min drive to one. It's very close to the Zoo and Midway. The Safari Park is about a 45 min drive from there or Downtown SD.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Depending on how long you decide to stay you can split your trip between there and Carlsbad. Staying a couple of nights in Carlsbad.

There's also Humphrey's Half Moon Inn and BW Island Palms on Shelter Island. Again a short drive to the beach.

Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Thanks, elizzie! The Homewood Suites looks to be a contender. How does it compare to the Marriott Residence? Is Liberty Station nice, as in picturesque or walkable or is it just an area if hotels?

Thoughts on Bahia or Capri on the Sun?

Thank you!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

There are more than one Residence Inn so it depends on which location.

Liberty Station is very picturesque. You can see the water and the beautiful park is next door. There is only one other hotel there so, no, it's not an area of just hotels. An example of an area with just hotels is Hotel Circle.

Bahia is a bit isolated and the few restaurants within walking distance are mostly fast food.

Capri by the Sea is a good location right on the beach. That area does have a lot of hotels and is crowded but Capri is far enough from the busiest part that keeps it less noisy.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

We stayed at Capri it is awesome and a true SoCal experience because of its beach location

Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Looks like Homewood Suites and Capri by the Sea are similar in price point. What would make you choose one over the other? Are both good regarding proximity to major attractions, grocery store, restaurants? Thanks to all!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

If they are indeed similar in price point I would take Capri by the Sea. Keeping in mind that at Homewood Suites you get free breakfast and during the week free light dinners and drinks.

Both are close to grocery stores (HSLS has a slight advantage as there is one at Liberty Station) - but Capri is probably only about a half mile to Ralph's Supermarket.

For me they are both fine and but especially if you want to be right at the beach then Capri is the best choice. If however, you don't want to be in a multi storied condo bldg then the HSLS might have an advantage.

At this point it really is a personal call between the two,

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Google pics of each place and also map it so you can see the area and what is within walking distance. I can only comment on Capri as I've stayed there and it's overlooking a magnificent beach and cool boardwalk. The unit I had was beautiful. I assume Homewood suites is downtown...so if you want a city vibe go with that but I come to SoCal for the beach vibe.

9. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 04:58
Edited: 04 February 2014, 04:58
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to CA - need lodging recs

Homewood Suites Liberty Station isn't in Downtown. It's in Point Loma. No city vibe. Let's not confuse the OP.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html