We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
74 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

I will be staying in San Diego area from October 30th for 1 week with my husband and parents. We are looking for advice about the best area to stay at this time of year to meet our needs. We are from Scotland so our warmest summers are only about 65c and believe it or not we sunbathe in this weather! :) I looked up info on the weather which says San Diego averages between 65-70c at this time. Can you advise if it is worthwhile staying at the beach at this time of year? Would everywhere still be open or are places open seasonally?

We would like to stay in an area where we can walk to restaurants/bars in the evening but are unsure where the best and safest areas would be. I have looked at the area guide, but would appreciate some additional info. We will have a car, so we will still be able to get around to visit all the tourist spots, so we are flexible with where we stay. It doesnt matter if we have to take the car to the beach if it means a better location for going out at night. We dont want to stay in an area which is too expensive, having looked at some of the restaurants, we like the look (and prices) of Hodad's so its this type of place/budget we are looking at.

I would really appreciate some San Diego expertise so we can narrow down our accommodation search.

Thanks in advance,

Nicola

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

Hi,

San Diego is a large city where people live in all of our neighborhoods year round so yes, beach places are always open. You may actually get better prices at that time near beach areas. We love to walk at the beach so go to them all year round as well!

You don't mention your budget for lodging? Since you are here for a whole week you might enjoy having a vacation rental apartment/house instead of a hotel room.

You might consider something like Capri by the Sea which is a high rise building facing the ocean at the northern end of our Pacific Beach neighborhood. It rents out like a hotel and also has a small pool.

allseasonsresortlodging.com/san-diego/capri-…

For an inexpensive hotel nearby you might look at rooms at:

http://www.blueseabeachhotel.com/

IF you want to stay in a city neighborhood away from the ocean then you might enjoy Little Italy at somewhere like La Pensione or maybe the Best Western Bayside.

I also really like our Shelter Island neighborhood which offers views of the downtown skyline, San Diego Bay and the yacht harbor. There are a few restaurants in walking distance there too. I've stayed at Humphreys Half Moon Inn which has some rooms with full kitchens if that is of interest to you.

Then there's our Coronado neighborhood across the bay from downtown. It has a small town atmosphere with a main street that has restaurants and shops and is also near a gorgeous beach. An inexpensive hotel there might be La Avenida with the Glorietta Bay Inn being higher in cost. There's also apartment rentals at the Coronado Beach Resort.

Take a look at pricing and let us know which spot fits your budget best.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

I used to live in SD, and I visit there about three times every year.

I always stay in Point Loma (I love the Dolphin Motel). It is right by the fishing and yacht harbors, next to Shelter Island (more yachts), and there are lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

We are going to SD in May for 4th time. We have been in March, November and September. Mar and Nov were like a Scottish summer. Sept was really hot up in 80-90s. We normally don't hire a car as there is just the 2 of us and use public transport getting a multi day travel pass for trolley and buses.

We have stayed 3 times at Handlery Hotel at Hotel Circle near Fashion Valley Mall. It is cheaper than beach or downtown but the standard is about the same as a Premier Inn, bathrooms are small and we usually pay for an upgraded room. This time we are to stay right next to the Gaslamp district at Hotel Solamar. It is a Kimpton hotel, a lovely boutique hotel chain which we have stayed with in Chicago.

I love the beach at the Del on Coronado and the beach bar there.

Having a car will make it easier to get over to Coronado, up to La Jolla and around the other neighbourhoods but I prefer not to drive on holiday. Watch out for my trip report in late May

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

Yes, where MarionSpence is staying(downtown San Diego) is a great area for walking to restaurants/bars but it is an expensive area if you have a car and need to pay the hotel to park each night.That's why I didn't mention it.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

As said, the best areas to stay to be able to walk to a variety of restaurants is Downtown San diego, Little Italy and Old Town. In October the beaches won't be as crowded so you should be able to easily drive and park at the beach.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,701 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

My first pick would be on Coronado; look at the 1906 Lodge, Glorietta Bay Inn and maybe the Marriott.

Then I would say Pacific Beach, the Capri by the Sea, Blue Sea Beach Resort and Pacific Terrace Hotel.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

Hi again,

We don't really know your budget for lodging in $$s. I got the impression that you didn't want to spend lots of money so gave you mid to low budget options. I know that some of scott's recs above are higher priced but of course they are also quite lovely!

Please let us know what you end up choosing.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
74 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

Thank you everyone for all your replies, sorry for the delay in responding we have had an internet problem. Im going to read your other posts about the area for more information!!!

I think we will probably take a holiday rental as it will be cheaper than taking two hotel rooms and it will also mean we will have proper kitchen etc. We will eat out for dinner but like to have the kitchen/fridge etc as we ususally make packed lunches for day trips.

Im feeling drawn to the beach areas as we can leave our car at the condo if we are at the beach during the day. It seems more difficilut to find a rental with parking in the downtown areas.

In the beach areas we would need to have places within walking distance from looking on google maps there seems to be concentrations of restaurants beside

Mission beach park

Pacific beach at Grand Avenue/Mission boulevard or Pacific Beach Park

La Jolla Village

Ocean Beach Park

Cornnado Beach

Are there any of these which are better in terms of walking around? which maybe have pedestrianised areas with shops/restaurants?

Im not a fan of a pebbly beach, so if any of those do not have a sandy beach would you mind letting me know.

Thank you again!!

Nicola

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

IMO - Coronado, Pacific Beach & La Jolla all would be good. PB has a much more surfer vibe and is grittier than either Coronado or LJ. But, it has the beach boardwalk with restaurants & bars right on it.

There is no beach downtown so if you want to stay near or at the beach than I would eliminate that.

I should add that 'La Jolla' covers a wide area and not all of La Jolla is walking distance to the beach or restaurants. Oh, and the same for Mission Beach. There are areas with no restaurants in walking distance or only fast food.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 22:36
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay/walk to restaurants

We stayed at Capri by the Sea last year. They are individually owned condos, with every unit facing Pacific Beach. There is a boardwalk between the condos and hotels and the beach and you can walk to restaurants and shops. Parking is free, and assigned, in the underground garage. We enjoyed our stay there.