We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Gloom

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
June Gloom

Hi,

My wife and I are trying to decide where to spend the first week of June. I vote for San Diego and she votes for Palm Desert. We have been to both many times but haven't been to either in June (Except SD for a few days around 10 years ago).

We've been there for the last few Aprils and the weather in SD hasn't been good. However we were there last January and the weather was great. A waitress told us San Diego has April Showers, May Gray, and June Gloom. I know what June Gloom is from the last June trip way back when but is this really the norm in early June? Wife will be upset if it is socked in until about 3 PM every day and I have no desire to sit in 110 degree weather in Palm Desert.

If June Gloom is the norm, is it any better up in Orange County (Laguna) or up by Terranea or Santa Barbara or does it affect the entire coast?

Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Gloom

June Gloom may or may not affect your visit. Every day is different. Most days the fog burns off by mid to late morning to bright sunny afternoons. There may be a day or two where the fog settles in as a low cloud cover blocking the sun. "Socked in" usually occurs early mornings/evenings, but rare for the whole day. South facing beaches tend to be sunnier/warmer, so I suggest checking out some south facing beach options in the San Diego area.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 01:50
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Gloom

Hi Mctcfitz - Well we do have June Gloom. However, unless I have selected memories I don't remember it being socked in until 3pm. It isn't usually a thick fog. It's just overcast and it usually burns off by noon.

I don't think it's much different in the northern beach cities you mentioned. I used to live in Newport Beach and Corona del Mar and we had our share of May Gray and June Gloom.

I'm sure a weather expert will come along but I've always thought of Santa Barbara as cooler weather and more overcast / fog. Not to say that I haven't been there when the weather was beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Gloom

You may find it in your best interest to concede to your wife on this one. Especially, if she's going to be saying "I told you so!" if it's June Gloom in San Diego this year.

As for the other coastal areas up to Santa Barbara -- yes, they have it too.

As mentioned, it's not a hard & fast weather trend, but -- like all cliches -- "June Gloom" has its origins in reality.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Gloom

Remember, too, that the marine layer / fog typically stay on the coast. It's not at all uncommon to drive just a couple of miles inland and have perfectly sunny weather.

On my drive to Point Loma from South Bay this morning, it was perfectly sunny as I drove past the 32nd Street Naval Base and Coronado Bridge, but when I got to the airport, it was fogged in and flights were delayed. Point Loma was pretty foggy, too. Very hit or miss, even along the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Point Loma
Point Loma
1,703 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Coronado Bridge
Coronado Bridge
5,005 Reviews
San Diego, CA
5. Re: June Gloom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:30