We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
70 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

Hi.

I am looking for accommodation in San Diego area. I am looking for a vintage chique 50' 60's style motel, like from the movies:) Comparable to the ACE Hotel in Palm Springs or The Pearl San Diego - but hopefully more affordable, and that they allow kids. Budget: 160 $ for 2 adults/kids max, sharing on room. Any suggestions? Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

I don't know any other hotel like The Pearl. For an inexpensive retro motel (no pool) for less than $100 per night per room , try The Dolphin Motel.

http://www.dolphin-motel.com/motel.html

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

The only one that I can think of is the Dolphin Motel that Riff gave a link to which is close to the Pearl.

Lafayette is another one but doesn't get the greatest reviews for the staff (not always friendly or helpful) and the loud pool parties.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

Hmm? I forgot about the Lafayette. I haven't recommended it in a while but I hear they have changed management and it has a "new life". It would certainly be unique!

I would read the reviews from the folks with more than 1 review and see if you'd like to try it out. The pool is definitely nice. The neighborhood is very local with no other hotels nearby.

I once visited during its past incarnation and then told a family they might try it and they hated it and moved out BUT that was several years ago so things are supposed to be different now. I have not been there recently. I know my son has been to there musical events.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

I hadn't heard that the Lafayette has new management. It's been awhile since I've read their reviews. The last time I did they were pretty bad about the staff and how they treated their guests. I'll have to go and read the current reviews.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

I have no idea of the rates, but I'd check the Del Mar Motel on the Beach, the Blue Sea Beach Hotel, Beach Haven Inn and Surf Beach Hotel. The Del Mar hotel is north of San Diego about 20 minutes but is directly on the beach in a great community.

http://www.delmarmotelonthebeach.com/

6. Re: vintage chique 50' 60's style motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:19