We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

Driving from LA. 30yr old couple knows nothing about San Diego. Looking to plan day/night itinerary in San Diego. Not sure what area to stay.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to explore (day and night), eat, and sleep. Nothing fancy/expensive.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 03:25
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

Hi mx180 - You've picked San Diego for a reason. What was that? There is a variety of things to do / see but it depends on what you like to do and what you like to see. Are you outdoorsy and want to bike, kayak, walk trails? Do you like museums? Or do you want to just wander around and sightsee?

What is your budget for a hotel for the night?

I would recommend that you stay in Little Italy at La Pensione or Best Western Plus Bayside or even the Doubletree. From La Pension or the Bw you can walk to the bay and see the Downtown sites along the waterfront and still be in walking distance to restaurants to both Little Italy and Downtown (or a short taxi to Downtown - $3.00 ish or so.)

If you want to in the heart of the 'action' you can stay Downtown and walk to all the bars and restaurants. Parking will cost more, generally.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 04:35
North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

I'm staying 7 days in LA, visiting SD really because I heard it was nice there and within LA's driving.

I would prefer to wander and sightsee. La Pension sounds like a good location, just don't want to be too far from the more popular spots.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

<<I would prefer to wander and sightsee. La Pension sounds like a good location, just don't want to be too far from the more popular spots>>

Hi again. It helps to know what popular spots you're looking at. As said, it all depends on what you want to see and do. There are people who think theme parks are what visit. Others want to take a Bay Cruise or visit the USS Midway or take the Old Town Trolley Tour to visit several neighborhoods and it a HOHO.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

Considering where you're from get to the coast and the beach:) look at Pacific beach, la jolla or Coronado

Edited: 20 February 2014, 20:10
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,895 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

San Diego has many places you could "wander & sightsee" and they are not necessarily close to each other.

Here are the areas I would research (Google), La Jolla, Old Town, Balboa Park, Gaslamp/East Village, Little Italy/The Marina. The last four are all neighborhoods of Downtown, but far enough apart that you wouldn't want to walk from Little Italy to the East Village.

Look at those and see what appeals.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 20:15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

I prefer the beach areas to stay in. Pacific and Mission beach or beautiful and fun. Plenty of places to eat, rent bicycles and shop. La Jolla is near by with kayaking and a visit to see the sea lions. Balboa Park is a must. The zoo is there as well if that's interesting to you.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

Agree with axfox7, I am a fan of the Pacific Beach/Mission Beach/Mission Bay area, lots to see and do, walking and renting bicycles can get your around very easily.

www.sandiego.org

8. Re: Visiting LA, planning a day to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:18