We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations to stay and transport

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chorley, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations to stay and transport

Hi all,

I will be travelling to San Diego from England, to work at UCSD Medical School for 4 weeks between April and May. I will be working at the USCD Medical Centre at Hillcrest and will be travelling with a friend who will be working at Thornton Hospital in La Jolla.

I was just seeking any recommendations for places to stay for 4 weeks with good transport links to each of the sites. An ideal place would be a two bedroom apartment/house.

Thank you in anticipation.

Meet

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Hi Meet S,

Welcome to the forums. The only transport option to either place is by bus.

Thornton is on the campus of the University of California at San Diego and there are buses that go to the campus but it might be an hour ride north by bus from the location of the Hillcrest location. Is renting a car an option??

I"d expect there to be a housing office on campus that could help you if you don't get help on this site which is primarily for folks on vacation who want hotels or vacation rentals.

I am trying to think of a neighborhood that would be between the 2 locations with easy access to both but not sure about that?

I would look on www.vrbo.com vacation rentals by owner to see if anything is in your price range as they certainly should have 2 bedroom options available.

From the Old Town transit center there are buses that go to each of the locations.

The #10 goes to Hillcrest and the 150+202 goes up towards Thornton.

You can see the routes and maps here:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=10

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=150

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=202

You can use the maps on the transit web site and you can use Google maps to get transiit directions and see neighborhoods along the way.

Good luck!!

Chorley, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess renting a car would be ideal but need to keep the cost implications in mind. How much would I be looking at if I do rent a car for 4 weeks?

I think the ideal place for us would be Old Town due to the transit centre there. Would you recommend that area too?

Meet

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

I don't know if there are many rentals in that area?

I also don't know your price range for housing?

Take a look at the vrbo site and see what you can find.

If not right in the Old Town neighborhood you can look along the lightrail route(we call it "the trolley") for locations in Little italy or even near the lightrail stop at Fashion Valley.

These stops may have more rentals and from these areas you can get transportation.

Check with a site like:

www.rentalcars.com which we usually recommend for non USA residents as it includes the insurance you'll need. I don't have any idea what a month of car rentals would cost.

When people come here on vacation we usually tell them that neighborhoods that are good for public transit are downtown (which includes/gaslamp, marina, east village) ,Little Italy(just north of downtown) and Old Town. Those are the most convenient spots but you and your friend are not here as just tourists so I don't know if those are still best for your needs in terms of pricing?

The Old Town Inn is a motel with kitchen that might give you a monthly rate.

This might also be a possibility:

http://www.vantaggiosuites.com/ International students often stay here while studying.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Well, I would thinkk that you should rent an apartment close to one location or the other. The person who is working close to the apt could walk to work or take the bus or if schedules mess the one can drop the other off.

Then the person who works the farthest from the apt could take the car to their destination.

If you are looking to stay at Old Town you might as well look to stay in Hillcrest. You would be able to walk to work. And unlike OT you'll have a variety of restaurants, cafes, grocery stores that you can walk to. The people who live in Old Town go to the grocery store in Hillcrest. Also, Hillcrest is dense with rental options also unlike Old Town. From Hillcrest you can easily drive down to Old Town which I'm sure you would during your stay. Your friend could take the car to go to work from Hillcrest and be there in around 15 mins or so. Easy, straightforward drive.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

I also like the Hillcrest location better for restaurants,grocery shopping etc.

I have not had this sort of question before so I am glad that elizzie jumped in!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Little Italy could be an option. Better than Old Town for apartment choices. You'd need to do your grocery shopping in Hillcrest or Downtown. You'd still need a car for your friend to get to Thornton.

Using Vantaggio Suites as a starting point in Little Italy it will take you approx 30 mins on the bus. If your friend can't drop you off or you aren't driving.

https://goo.gl/maps/rN01O

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Riff - I do think Hillcrest is the best option overall. LOTS of rentals there. Some might be listed as Mission Hills perhaps. Little Italy would be second IMO.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

You might also look at Sommerset Suites in Hillcrest as an option. BUT read reviews. It's near the hospitals.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/sommersetsuites

Chorley, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

Thanks for all the responses. Apologies for not mentioning this earlier, the upper limit of our budget is $3000 for the month. I have looked at a few listings in Hillcrest and University Heights on Airbnb and have been awaiting responses from a few people.

Are there any other websites for rental listing similar to Airbnb or Vrnb?

Appreciate your input so far. If you have any other recommendations please feel free to share.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations to stay and transport

I repeat that you should also get in touch with the housing office of the university as they have lots of visiting professors and students that need short term housing and they may have lists of apartments and prices of convenient ones.