We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cork
14 posts
Save Topic
San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

Hey guys. I plan on travelling to San Diego in the morning. The amtrak website says no luggage allowed. I have a big suitcase with me as I will fly home fron San Diego. Does anyone know do people bring their luggage on the amtrak anyway? Or any other easy way to get to San Diego. I don't drive either. Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

Hi,

The web site does not say"no luggage allowed". It says "no checked luggage".

That means you have to take your own luggage on board the train and cannot hand it to someone to check it for you. You can still go on the train with your bag. It is always better to have a suitcase you can handle yourself without help so maybe get a smaller one or just make sure you can lift it and carry it on your own.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

There is plenty of room on the train to store luggage.

cork
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

Thank you for your replies :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

I've done this many times with luggage. You just need to be able to carry it on yourself. They just don't check it like the airlines do.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

FYI, the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner does offer Checked Luggage, but both the departure station and the arrival station have to be equipped to handle it.

For example, Sante Fe Station (SAN) has it, Old Town (OLT) doesn't.

San Clemente's station is right next to the Pier and has no services, just a piece of concrete to board/unboard, so that is why this trip is "no checked baggage"

6. Re: San Clemente to San Diego amtrak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:21