We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Struggling to Choose the Right Location.

I'm travelling to SD with 3 small girls in September. We'll have a car, plan to rent an apartment and would like to see Seaworld and SD Zoo.

I've been looking at Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Mission Valley etc. Coronado is no good because we can't rent an apartment for less than 1 month there.

Can someone help orientate me and recommend a couple of spots. If we stay at the beach, is driving easy, reasonably uncrowded etc?

Thanks - Richard, Melbourne Australia

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,322 posts
5,997 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Struggling to Choose the Right Location.

Mission Beach would be nice....

sandiego.org/what-to-do/…mission-beach.aspx

Mission Valley is closer to shopping centers - its east of San Diego. Many moderately priced motels etc. are in this area and if budget is a concern, its ok to stay - it would be nicer however to be by the beach areas.

Unfortunately its not uncrowded in San Diego - 1.3 million plus people live in San Diego alone and there are more people in the other communities surrounding San Diego. You will have car traffic - but in general, I find San Diego fairly easy to find your way around,...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Struggling to Choose the Right Location.

Hi and welcome to the forums!!

San Diego will not have crowded beaches in September.

Our traffic patterns are easy to deal with and you will be just fine driving to your activities!!

This condo community in Coronado has rented out apts. for less than a month to other visitors so not sure where you found that 1 month only info:

http://www.coronadobeachresort.com/

IF there is a new law there please let us know.

You will find the most beach rentals in the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach/Mission Bay area.

I find that Google maps are very helpful to get one oriented. I use their classic version , not the new one , as it easily lets me use a search nearby function to see restaurants ,stores etc.

Mission Beach and Pacific Beach are one loooong stretch of beach with Mission being the southern end and Pacific the northern end. Mission Bay Park is sort of in the middle and stretches from the ocean east with a long series of manmade bays for water activities and green space and trails for walkiing/biking/skating etc.

You don't say how long you plan to be here???

We have many more things to see/do besides the 2 parks you mentioned!

IF you are only here for a few days then an apt. is probably not necessary or practical.

There are family friendly suite hotels that may suit your purposes just fine!!

You haven't told us your budget for lodging in USA $$s???

One of the most popular hotels for families here is Homewood Suites/Liberty Station.

It is not at the ocean but it offers free parking, free breakfast, pool, and some free evening meals as well! Take a look and let us know your budget so we can give you other ideas.

Mission Valley has some inexpensive motels but the area is not scenic and not very walkable.

3. Re: Help! Struggling to Choose the Right Location.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:17