We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Visit with kids

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Diego Visit with kids

Hi,

we planning for a visit to California next april with our 5 and 3Y old kids, after visiting San Fran and Yosemite and do a 5 days road trip from Yosemite to Santa Monica we will be heading towads San Diego and i want to share with you our plans for your comments and advice on places to visit and where to stay with a budget of $100-$200 a night.

our itinerary is as follows:

Wednesday 23/4

- Breakfast at Santa Monica

- Heading to San Diego, visiting San Diego Sea world

- Visit some other attractions like Balboa Park or Maritime Museum or La Jolla

- Staying over in San Diego (WE NEED ADVIE ON WHERE TO STAY AND IS IT BETTER TO STAY IN RENTALS OR HOTELS DURING OUR STAY IN SAN DIEGO)

Thursday 24/4

- Carlsbad Legoland (whole day)

Friday 25/4

- San Diego Zoo and may be other attractions which we couldn’t see before like Balboa Park and Maritime Museum La Jolla

Saturday 26/4

- San Diego Safari

- Leaving to Anaheim for the night

thanks a lot in advance

Bashar

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Visit with kids

OK, lets talk about your schedule, SeaWorld is open 10 AM to 6 PM on Wednesday, and is a full day park, so you will need to leave Santa Monica early in the AM. And you won't have time to do other things during the day.

Thursday, LEGOLAND opens its gates at 9 AM and is open until 7 PM.

Friday, the Zoo is open 9 AM to 6 PM, depending on how much time you spend in the Zoo, you could spend some time in Balboa Park in the afternoon.

Saturday, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is open 8 AM to 7 PM.

I might switch up your schedule, and place LEGOLAND on Saturday, as it is the closest to Anaheim and right off the I-5 freeway. The Safari Park is inland near Escondido.

Maybe Santa Monica to The SDZ Safari Park on Wednesday, SeaWorld on Thursday, the Zoo on Friday, and LEGOLAND on Saturday. This also places the area for the Hotel in a more central location.

For a three night stay, I think it would be very hard to find a rental, especially at your price range.

You are coming during a school holiday period (Spring/Easter Break), so pricing will be higher than normal.

At your price range and what you want to do, I would check out the Old Town Inn, fairly central, gets great reviews and no charge for parking, plus a nice free breakfast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,524 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Visit with kids

When Darkbeer says "leave Santa Monica early", he is talking like no later than 6AM early.

If you try to leave Santa Monica after breakfast, like 8AM or 9AM you are looking at the normally 2 hour drive being more like 4 hours because of commuter traffic in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego County. Those three counties are three of the six most populous counties in the entire United States and the freeways can be very, very busy between 8AM and 10AM and then again in the evenings 3PM to 6PM.

You really do not have time to do all those things on Wednesday, I'd combine the SD Zoo & Balboa Park on Friday.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,341 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Visit with kids

Hi,

You also might want to leave your last day to see some of those things on your list that you won't be able to see on your arrival day in San Diego. IF you are going to Sea World on that day after driving from LA I wouldn't expect to do much else except maybe relax and have a swim at your hotel.

I might just leave out the Safari Park and let that last day be to see some of the scenic parts of the city like the beaches and La Jolla etc on your way back to Anaheim.

I am not sure you can get a vaction rental in your price range for 3 days ?

If you find one then that would be great as it would give you more space than a hotel room.

There are lots of motels in the middle area of your price range.

Hampton Inns, and Homewood Suites have various locations and availability.

The nicest location near downtown San Diego at Liberty Station is probably out of your range but the other locations would be OK if not scenic.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Visit with kids

thanks all

for the valuable advices which really helped us in replanning our trip, now i decided to stay at the Courtyard in Liberty Station it seems a nice area and a nice hotel. i will change teh sequence which i wanted to visit the attactions as suggested

my final question other than the activities mentioned above do you think i missed something that the kids might enjoy in San Diego?

Bashar

5. Re: San Diego Visit with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28