We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Hi

I'm booked on a flight from London, UK to San Diego (on Sunday 9th March 2014) via LAX & Carlsbad. My colleague who booked the flight thought that Carlsbad was the only airport in the San Diego area. My stopover at LAX is 2hrs 30mins for a flight that takes 48mins. Does anybody know the best way to get from Carlsbad airport to San Diego?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

I'm sorry but your collegue is very wrong. And if this is already booked your trip is made much more difficult.

The Palomar airport is approx a 45 min drive in a car to Downtown San Diego where the Gaslamp is. Somewhere around $100 one-way via taxi.

The Downtown Airport - SAN - is only approx 2 miles from the Gaslamp. Is there any way you can change your resevation to downtown SAN?

If not, the only other I can think of is to take the train in Carlsbad . But you have to get from the airport to the train station first. And there are two. One on Pointesettia and on in the Village.

Sorry but your colleague has no idea and has only made your life more difficult and much more expensive.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:48
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Here's a map FYI

https://goo.gl/maps/bpUEf

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Just for an FYI

If you were to fly into San Diego (not Carlsbad) here is the map.

https://goo.gl/maps/Am6tH

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

What is the reason for your visit--business or vacation???

What are you intending to do here?

I ask because there are hotels at the beach in Carlsbad where one could stay and then take the train into downtown San Diego for other activities.

The Carlsbad airport is very small and is in a suburban area of San Diego County at least 40min. by car from the downtown area of the city of San Diego.

If you let us know where in San Diego you need to be and what your goal is for this trip we might have other ideas.

elizzie has told you about the train and taking a taxi or car service. I suppose your other choice is to rent a car. It would really be best if you could change your ticket.

Do you also fly OUT of Carlsbad??

What a mess!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,969 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

The best way is a taxi, the more reasonable way from a cost standpoint is to use a shuttle company like SuperShuttle.

What airline are you coming in on? If you arrive at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) you are a good distance from the United Terminal at Terminal 7 or 8. If you are not code sharing on United it may be hard to get your bags and you there in time. 2:30 hours is not a long layover when you have to clear immigration and customs, get on the shuttle and reclear security in a new terminal. There is no secure connection between terminals.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Have you looked into changing the flight to SAN from LAX?

Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

Hi GoodBeer

That was my first thought but then thought Carlsbad to SD should be a walk in the park!

I've now spoken to Expedia (who the flights were booked with) and they've been very helpful and have now changed the connection to Lindbergh. It cost £120 (about $190) to change flights but I can claim this back. And it saves a lot of hassle on a Sunday evening.

Thanks to you all for your advice and hope to meet you during Happy Hour in the bar.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

It sounds like you wiuld go through passport control at LAX so the layover time won't be wasted too much. But as you noted, you could rent or hire a car and drive to San Diego faster than flying into Carlsbad. What about the return trip? Sometimes it is cheaper to rent a car for a few days than take a long cab ride both ways.

Given that flights to SAN may be cheaper than to Carlsbad, that might offset any change fees you would pay to change your flight to SAN airport.

9. Re: Carlsbad airport to San Diego (Gaslamp)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:17