We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel etc advice

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Hotel etc advice

Hi

My husband and I ( 60 yr young couple) are planning a first time visit to San Diego for the first week of September 2014

We are unfamiliar with the area and are in need of some advise as to what area and hotels are good.

We like to be on or within walking distance of a nice sandy calm beach We also like to have an outdoor pool at the hotel

We like to be near dining and shopping locations .

Also should we plan to rent a car on not?

We would probably like to go to the SD Zoo and a few other attractions as you may recommend. Thank you in advance for your help..

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel etc advice

Hi Non5 - I would look at Pacific Beach and Coronado. They are completely different. Pacific Beach has a boardwalk with lots of activity. Biking, runners, rollerbladers, etc. Restauants and bars along it. It's gritty and has a young surfer vibe. The shops tend toward surf shops, t shirt shops. The bars have a young crowd late night.

Coronado is upscale and has a beautiful wide, white beach. There are no restaurants or bars lining the sidewalk only houses - some are beautiful Victorian. The Village is only a block away with restaurants and cute boutique shops. The historic Hotel del Coronado is there to visit if you can't afford to stay. It's not known for nightlife but you will have a variety of places for after dinner drinks.

It's best to have a car to get to places like the Zoo since taking public transportation from any beach area will take you at least an hour one-way.

If you're here for a full week you could also consider renting a car for only a part of the stay to go to places like the Zoo.

And you should also look into taking the Old Town Trolley Tour. They have 2 routes. One goes to several neighborhoods - Little Italy, Downtown, Coronado, Balboa Park and the other goes to Mission Beach and La Jolla. They are Hop On Hop Off.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel etc advice

Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for hotels 3-4 star range with a pool and ocean within walking distance?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel etc advice

For a 60 year old couple, Coronado would be my first pick. the hotels I'd look at are the Hotel del Coronado, Glorietta Bay, Coronado Marriott, Crown City Inn and there are a few others if those do not work.

I always recommend a car for visitors. I think San Francisco is the only city/area where one is truly not needed, in fact where a car is actually a drawback.

Other sights to consider are the USS Midway Museum, Old Town, Little Italy, La Jolla Village, Torrey Pines any of the many fine museums in Balboa Park, the Gaslamp area and maybe Petco Park.

http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/museums

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel etc advice

Budget is more helpful than star ratings :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel etc advice

I think Coronado is a good choice.

I'm not sure that the Crown City Inn has a pool. La Avenida does

http://www.laavenidainn.com/

El Cordova has one

http://www.elcordovahotel.com/photos.htm#0_56

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel etc advice

$200-$300 Pacific Beach area also please

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel etc advice

In PB, Blue Sea Beach Hotel, maybe Pacific Terrace if you can find a room in your range and maaaaaaaaaaybe the Catamaran, which is at the southern end of PB.

Yes, Crown City has a pool.

www.crowncityinn.com/Amenities_Frameset.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel etc advice

Can you tell me how far these hotels in Coronado are from the beach?

From Downtown San Diego would we drive? walk?

Any suggestions for dining?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel etc advice

The ones mentioned are a block away. Except Hotel Del which is on the beach.

Crown Inn is about a 15 or 20 min walk.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 22:38
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel etc advice

To get to Coronado from Downtown it's a 10 min drive to the closest side of Coronado. An additional 5 + mins to the village and beach.

Without a car the #992 Bus goes straight to the Village.

Or you can take the 15 min Ferry

http://www.flagshipsd.com/coronado-ferry

From the Ferry Landing you can take a 5 min taxi ride to the beach. Or the 904 Shuttle or 901 bus which would take around 15 mins.

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

Where would you like dining suggestions?