We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

Hi,

My son is 3 years old. I take him to petting zoos and he loves animals. For the coming summer, I am thinking of taking him to San diego. Costco has this wonderful deal:

costco.com/San-Diego-3-for-1-Pass.product.10…

In terms of the price, sure it is a good deal but I am not sure if my son would love to do all of that at this age. Should I just consider zoo or zoo/safari park . Please let me know your experience.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

When are you coming to San Diego and for how many days will you be here??

The Safari Park is extremely hot in summer!

I am sure it is a good deal if you want to spend all your time visiting animal/theme parks.

IF you want to do other activities here then you may not need to go to all 3 parks while here.

It really depends on you and your interests.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

I have not decided on the exact week in summer. I was thinking sometime in June.

Because I am coming with my son, i would like to do things that interests him and hence was specifically looking for animal/theme parks. In sea world, I am sure my son would love the shows. Looking at San diego temperature in June, the avg is about 70 which is not bad. I live in bay area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

In June it is not as hot as in high summer but the Safari Park is inland away from the ocean about 45min. NE of downtown San Diego. The temps there are always about 10deg. hotter than at the ocean.

I understand wanting the trip to be all about activities for your son but there are other things that 3 year olds enjoy like playing in the sand at the beach and paddling around in a pool.

Here is a great trip report by a mom of a pre schooler and what they did in San Diego:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k716997…

It is not always about theme parks at that age unless the parent is also enjoying them!!

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:12
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

I think he would love Sea world. Lots of shows with sea life as well as a dog show that is very good.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

Have you looked at the websites for these places? That might help you decide if they're worth it for you. My feeling is that all three might be a bit much for a three year old on one trip, but you know your child.

The Safari Park is cooler in June than July or August, but as it's inland, it does get quite hot. And because it's so bit, there's an awful lot of walking. There can also be a lot of sitting and waiting, given the nature of the exhibit space. I love it, but I'm not ferrying a small person from place to place. The zoo is almost always a hit with kids.

www.sandiegozoo.org for the zoo and the safari park

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

The Safari Park is not in San Diego. It's in Escondido which as said it inland and much hotter than San Diego.

https://goo.gl/maps/UrPDM

While June is not the height of summer it can still be hot out there. I would wait for the day to see just how hot it is and not buy tickets in advance.

Coincidentally I met a man yesterday and he mentioned that he lives in Escondido. He went on to say that he's lived in San Diego his whole live and has never lived in a home with air conditioning. But he has one in his home in Escondido and uses it all the time.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 19:18
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

SeaWorld is great for little kids, they have a deal with the Muppets Characters, including a play land, a 3-D movie starring Elmo, popular shows, tide pools area where they can touch marine animals.

It is worth a visit, especially with SeaWorld celebrating its 50th Anniversary.

As mentioned the San Diego Zoo can be a lot of walking and/or riding buses, but has a nice Children's Zoo area, and Balboa Park is nearby.

I am not sure if the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is worth it, as mentioned very hot in the summer months (located in Inland Northern San Diego County).

One benefit of the 3 in 1, you have 7 days and can go back, so maybe 2 half days at SeaWorld would be better for the young one than a full day.

8. Re: Costco 3 in 1 san diego pass - Is it worth for 3 year old bo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24