We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Visit

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Visit

Hi

My partner and I are planning a trip to California for this August. San Diego will be our last stop and we will be spending 3 nights there. I am after any advice on great places to eat, drink as well as things to do while we are there. As this is our last stop we would like some time to relax so any great beaches you can suggest will be a great help!

Thanks!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Visit

Where are you staying and will you have a car???

This will make a difference in where we suggest for eating/drinking and activities.

Please give us a clue as to your interests(outdoor activities such as hiking,biking,kayaking;

museums /historic places, scenic areas, boat trips,theme parks etc.)

Everyone travels differently and has different ideas of a good vacation!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Visit

Yes, where are you staying?

Is this a road trip so you'll have a car? Or not?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Visit

Yes we will have a car but the plan was to drop it off when we arrive in San Diego , will we need it while we are there?

We would like to stay fairly close to the beach if possible.

Interests hiking and biking nothing to strenuous, boat trips too and scenic places. Would also like some 'down time'

Thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Visit

Hi Kate

For only 3 days and if you don't want to do much more than stay near a beach and hike and bike, etc. you can look to Pacific Beach. Lots of restaurants.

Just know that going to places where the boat cruises are and scenic places can take you an hour on the bus one-way. It just really depends on where you want to go and what you want to see. Have you done any research on San diego and do you have any things that you really want to do and see?

If you want to go to Downtown SD (where most of the boat cruises are) it will take an hour with a change from bus to trolley. 15 mins in a car. Balboa Park as well. La Jolla is around a 20 min bus ride depending on traffic from PB.

Restaurant recommendations will depend on where you are staying and how you are getting around. Bus or car.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 08:34
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Visit

I have done some research and some things that interested me are Balboa park, seaport village, gas lamp quarter and Coronado island.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Visit

Kate - then you should keep the car unless you stay on Coronado. From Coronado you can get to Seaport Village and Gaslamp 15 mins in a taxi or 30 mins public transportation. Balboa Park from Coronado I think around 30 mins.

If you were to stay in Pacific Beach w/o a car it would take you at least 1 hour (or more) to Balboa Park, Seaport Village and Gaslamp. Longer to Coronado using public transportation. All these places from PB with a car are 15 to 20 mins drive.

So the two beach choices are Pacific Beach and Coronado.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Visit

considering what you say...i'd look at coronado island but you don't tell us what your budget is per night. you can easily spend a day on the island and there is a gorgeious beach and some nice beach areas on "the strand" south of coronado. you can take the ferry from coronado to the downtown area (sea port village, gaslamp quarter). i'd keep the car for at least one day to drive to places further out that you might want to see - would make getting to balboa park quicker and you might want to spend a couple of hours in la jolla. if you pick pacific beach area to stay in...i'd keep the car for the whole time - they aren't that expensive to rent as long as your parking fee isn't too much.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Visit

Great thanks guys our budget would be about $100-120 a night

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego Visit

That is a very, very low budget for a beach stay in the height of tourist season when hotels are charging premium rates. So I think you staying at the beach is out. It would be easier to stay away from the beach and then take public transportation for a beach day.

The three best places to stay w/o a car are Downtown, Little Italy and Old Town. If you stay in downtown or Little Italy it's easy to get to Coronado in about 30 mins. If you stay in Old Town you can get to Pacific Beach in about 20.

Your budget is still low for those areas in Aug. Have a look at La Pensione in Little Italy and Hotel Vyvant. You 'might' get a room for that budget. There are also the budget options like Motel 6. There are 2 Downtown.

You might be able to get the Old Town Inn for that.

You might also look on priceline.com for hotels in Downtown, Marina, Little Italy and bid in your price range.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 20:44
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego Visit

Thank you maybe we need to re-evaluate our budget :)