We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with family accommodation in September ...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with family accommodation in September ...

Hi there - we are travelling to the states in Aug/Sept from New Zealand. We are 2 families, both with 2 adults and one with 2 kids and one with 1 kid (kids 6,8 & 9). Ideally we would like to stay at a resort styled hotel with a nice pool. This is the last 7 days of our 5 wk holiday and we are renting a house in LA so thought a hotel would be nice to finish the holiday. We would like a 2 bedroom suite if possible -esp for the family with 2 kids and also somewhere where the adults can sit in the evening.

Does anyone have some good ideas for us. I have looked & few places have 2bdr suites and I have no idea what the areas are like!!

Thanks so much!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

Hi Kate - Welcome to San Diego!

<<Does anyone have some good ideas for us. I have looked & few places have 2bdr suites and I have no idea what the areas are like!!>>

A big help would be for you to tell us these places so we don't repeat info and then give you advice to stay at these same places.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

The Dana has no availability in suites (I don't think they were 2 bedroom either). Best western island palms I think it was appeared to have 1 bedroom suites not 2. It just seemed every time I looked at 1 there was no 2bdr - May have not been available too I guess. Some of the residence inns have 2bedr but I have no idea good locations. I.e. Beach or not the beach ... Transport we still have not decided on a car or not - is SD public transport ok? Etc

Thanks so much for your help!

australia
Level Contributor
224 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

Ramada maingate across from disney land has joining rooms, we have stayed there twice, its nothing flash but it is good for families and well priced

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

I don't think any of the Residence Inns in San Diego have great locations and none are what I would call "resort" style.

Places like the Kona Kai Resort would have connecting rooms available, but I think you will have a very hard time finding 2 bedroom suites other than some very expensive options. Even the 2 bedroom suites at the Residence Inns do not come inexpensively.

What is your budget and what are the most important wants in a hotel. Is the 2 bedrooms, is it location (beach vs well inland) is it a "resort"? There are so many moving parts, priorities would be helpful.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,236 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

IF you are at the beach with your famlies for a whole week then I'd expect that a vehicle would make getting around the rest of the city /county much easier unless you really want to take everyone on buses every time you want to go somewhere.

San Diego has must to offer in terms of things to see/do in addition to lolling around at the beach and enjoying it! We do not have many large resorts at our beaches.You have not told us your budget for lodging so it is hard to recommend other places to you.

2 bedroom suites are not common at all except for longer stay places like Residence Inns which are not at beaches.

Some places that do have 2 bedrooms do not have resort facilitlies which to me means large grounds with other activities. Please let us know budget in $$s and which amenities are most important to you. Let us know if you plan to see/do other things besides beach activities.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,236 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

I tried to edit but too late to add that other choices with 2 bdrm. suites are VERY expensive so knowing budget is important. Please ignore my typo in the word facilities.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

You all raise some good points - thanks.

I actually think you have hit the nail on the head in saying I haven't provided a lot of detail ... I haven't! That's because I think my family and my brother-in-laws family have not fully decided what is most important.

We will definitely do sea world, the zoo & the safari park. Undecided on legoland and have just read heaps about the midway being a good thing to do so that is on my list. Us ladies will want to hit the shops (the husbands can look after the kids that day) as the shopping is supposed to be awesome compared to New Zealand!! Of course we would like to get a feel for San Diego and not be stuck at the hotel all day.

Our big thing about the hotel will be a decent pool - to have a swim at the end of a busy day, good transport links if we don't have a car and good access to places to eat with 3 young kids (& I would prefer not to eat in the same hotel restaurant for 7 nights). My in-laws would like near a beach ... Not so important for me but there has to be compromise. It would be nice to be able to put the kids to bed at night and have somewhere to sit and relax, have a couple of drinks etc. neither of us would be keen to leave the kids in a room and be off somewhere else.

Our budget would be under $275/night if poss per family.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers Kate

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

I'm trying to figure out where to start :)

A suite hotel, near a beach, the places you want to go, and no car is what I got out of it. Something is going to have to give or change. Most of the suite hotels aren't near a beach. You could potentially get around on public transportation but it wouldn't be wise to try staying at the beach to get to all you want to do without a car. It would be an hour one-way to get to most of what you want to do other than SeaWorld. With a car around 15 mins drive to most places.

The hotel is still an issue. There's the Pacific Terrace in Pacific Beach that has suites but like I said, best with a car to eliminate long bus commutes.

http://www.pacificterrace.com/suites-en.html

Maybe a villa at the Coronado Marriott but budget may be too low and, again, need a car

marriott.com/hotels/…

Also on Coronado is the Glorietta Bay Inn

http://www.gloriettabayinn.com/

The Homewood Suites Liberty Station is a suite hotel but as nice as the other properties and, again, car.

On Shelter Island there are suite hotels but, sorry, can't imagine getting around w/o a car.

The Residence Inn isn't a nice property but it's a suite hotel. Same with Embassy Suites.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

Thx - Elizzie.

I'm thinking we need to get a car! Lol! Not opposed to that at all - and one of the boys is happy to drive (watch out for the crazy kiwis in September trying not to drive on the wrong side of the road!!). It seems like that will give us the best options.

If we were to not go near a beach ... Is there options you would recommend. If we have a car we can always drive to the beach!

Will investigate the accom options you have indicated above - again thx for your help. Really appreciated as it gives us a starting point!

Cheers

Kate

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with family accommodation in September ...

Hi Kate - car would be good. It's pretty difficult to drive on the wrong side of the road here. Just follow the car(s) in front of you - plenty to follow.

Look at the accommodations already mentioned like Pacific Terrace in Pacific Beach and Marriott Coronado or Glorietta Bay Inn Coronado.

On Shelter Island the two closest to walking to restaurants are Humphrey's Half Moon Inn and the Bay Club. The Best Western Island Palms is about a 10min further walk.

In Pacific Beach (actually Mission Bay but a block to Pacific Beach) is the Catamaran.

All these hotels are around a 15 min drive to the places you mention.

For shopping if you want to go to an outlet mall the closest is the Las Americas Premium Outlet. Depending on where you end up staying it's anywhere from a 20 min + drive.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Otherwise the Fashion Valley Mall and the Mission Valley Mall are closer to a 10 mins drive to most of the places mentioned.