We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

We will be getting into the area on a Thursday afternoon and staying until late Saturday evening. I am trying to figure out the best location to stay without a car and would love advice. I hope that during the days we can visit places such as Pacific Beach, Coronado, and San Diego Zoo. At night we would like to eat at wonderful restaurants and have some fun going out for drinks (not clubs per say)- is this doable without a car? How and where would the best place be to accomplish all of these by walking and/or bikes mainly and a few taxi's if necessary? Having read some forums I know people have mentioned Little Italy, Gaslamp area, and a few other locations downtown. Is this suggested for our itinerary or would even possibly staying around Coronado work? We would just love to experience the most we can and I know it is almost impossible in 2 days and also inconvenient without a car- so staying in the best location is key! Thank you in advance for the advice. Oh, price point would be max $200 a night. Thanks!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

Without a car the - and for only 2 days - the best areas to stay are Downtown, Little Italy with the closest beach being Coronado. Old Town with the closest beach being Pacific Beach. In your circumstance w/o a car I would NOT stay in Coronado. Nor Pacific Beach.

I prefer Little Italy's restaurants over most of the ones Downtown but they are next to each other. Well, Little Italy is a part of Downtown but ... Old Town is my least favorite for good restaurants. You will be spending time on buses and trolleys and maybe the Ferry to Coronado.

Have a look at the Trolley Tour (bus tour - not our lightrail trolley system). It goes to Old Town, Downtown, Coronado, Balboa Park, Little Italy

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

That's great to know that staying in Coronado is not suggested. Thank you! If staying in Little Italy, is it possible to bike to any of those places instead of using the bus/trolley, or are the roads not friendly to bikers? Obviously the ferry to Coronado, but I would love to bike to Pacific Beach and/or the zoo if possible.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

You can bike to Balboa Park where the zoo is located but I have never seen anyone bring a bike into the zoo. I cannot picture if there are bike racks for leaving the bike outside so I don't think it is a great idea. You can take the bus to Pacific Beach and rent a bike there to ride.

Here are some biking ideas:

sandiego.org/what-to-do/sports/biking.aspx

http://www.efgh.com/bike/redroute.htm

Buses here have bike racks so you can take your bike with you if you don't want to rent at your destination.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,998 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

You can take your bike on the ferry to Coronado, and I would since the ferry landing is about 1 1/2 miles to the beach and most of the shops, The Del etc.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 16:06
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

You can walk to the Ferry if you stay in Little Italy or Downtown. Once at the Ferry Landing you can rent bikes there. or take the bus to the beach / village (15 mins) and rent bikes in the village. Either way works.

There was a bike rental place in Little Italy. I'm not sure if it's still there. Looks like it is

http://electricbikecentral.com/

There's also one down on Harbor Drive attached to the Wyndham Bayside Hotel

www.wheelfunrentals.com/Locations/San-Diego-3

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

You will probably need to use public transportation in order to get to the zoo, so at that point you should really just look at the type of environment you want during the day.

If you want relaxing beach days then I don't see why Coronado or Pacific Beach wouldn't be great options for you to stay. In Coronado the restaurant selection may be a little slimmer, but you'd definitely see the beach lifestyle and be able to travel all over the island via bikes. This biggest downsides to staying in Coronado is that it will probably be more expensive than your budget (but check! there are some great B&Bs on the island) and will be a little more difficult to travel to other parts of San Diego. Pacific Beach tends to attract a younger community. You will still definitely get great beach time access with lots of restaurants and bars on Garnet and Mission Ave. You might be able to get a steal on a vacation rental on VRBO or similar site.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

<<You might be able to get a steal on a vacation rental on VRBO or similar site.>>

For TWO nights? It could be a long-shot but IMO I wouldn't bother with what's involved with finding a rental for just 2 nights.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

I think I've seen bike racks outside the zoo, but I'm not certain, and I couldn't find anything on the website. You might want to email them and ask. (I've had quick responses on other questions.)

9. Re: Hotel location that fits my itinerary??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16