We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

HI,

My husband and I are a young couple w no children. Going to SD for 2-3 nights.

He has been once before (for a bachelor party) I've never been.

We will be arriving in SD after hiking in the Mojave and after SD we're headed to LA for a friends wedding. Any suggestions on

places to stay,

and fun activities from a local -less touristy- point of view?

Oh and I should mention it's at the end of "May Grey" which isn't ideal but we dont have a choice.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

Hi tm - please tell us what your per night budget is. Your choices will be a beach stay or an urban stay with a drive of approx 15 mins to get to a beach.

Less touristy and more 'local' (not at the beach) North Park, University Heights, South Park. This is for the restaurant scene.

A 'bit' less touristy for the beach scene Solana Beach, Leucadia, Cardiff by the Sea, Encinitas.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

thanks so much for your help!

Our price point is somewhere in the 200 range per night.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

Good to know your budget. You still need to decide if you want a beach or urban stay. Those are the choices.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

In addition to what elizzie asked, what do you consider "fun" activities? That may help us narrow it down. Do you like local bars, water-based activities like kayaking or snorkeling (with harmless sharks), art, off-the-beaten-path urban hikes, etc.?

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

The Porto Vista in Little Italy is like $150/ night, the Laffayette in North Park is usually around $160. They are both great to stay at. If you dont have a car, try using Uber or Lyft for car services- they are often cheaper than a cab.

North Park is a great local area- tons of bars (seven grand, bar pink, west coast, tornado, coin op) places to eat (carnitas snack shack, smoking goat, alexanders, soda and swine, ritual tavern) Bird Park/ Morley Field are great spots to hangout, watch the flight path, play frisbee golf ($3 to play) theres always stuff going on.

As for beaches, you will def get less touristy at the places listed above- however they are also far away, like 45 min driving. I like coronado and windan sea for the beach, Coronado will prob be nicer this time of year.

There is so much to do in san diego- craft beer tasting- some of the best beer in the world ( I like society, hess, alesmith, ballast point, mission brew) the zoo, paddle boarding, disc golf, balboa park, ect.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

The Lafayette is ghetto. It is on El Cajon Blvd. I wouldn't stay there. You can check yelp and see if you would still like to stay there. It is an interesting hotel though and has a lot of history. North Park is very urban. They have cleaned it up a lot and it has plenty of bars, restaurants and lounges. South Park which is actually Golden Hills (they changed the name to appeal to people) is really cool! Then again, I was raised there so I am biased. There are some pubs, bars, restaurants but not as much as north park. The good thing is both north and south park are a skip,hop, and a jump away. I would still visit the Gaslamp in downtown...lot's of history and I personally love downtown. Besides Lafayette there are no hotels in those area. There are, however, tons of hotels in Mission Valley called "Hotel Circle" and that is close to the beaches and North Park/South Park. If you want something nicer near the water I would stay at Paradise Point but it can be very pricey! Also, check out www.vrbo.com you might find an awesome rental house although most usually want a minimum of 3 days stay to book. Good luck and I hope you like San Diego!

PS: Pick up the San Diego reader...tons of event info going around the city. You can check out some local bands, art shows, etc.

7. Re: 2 days, young couple, looking for a local perspective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:16