We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego itinerary help

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver...
8 posts
Save Topic
San Diego itinerary help

Hi, I'll be in San Diego from Friday (flight lands 3:30pm) to Tuesday (take off 4pm), with only 3 full days (sat -mon). We (3 couples with a toddler each) are staying at omni downtown and plan on taking a cab to the hotel from the airport. Saturday we plan on doing the zoo (again cab). Monday we plan on doing sea world (transport undecided). I needed some help with deciding in what to do on Sunday - some ideas/suggestions are 1) hanging out in la jolla/del mar (will rent a car) or 2) check out old town/Coronado.

Questions:

A) thoughts opinions on choosing between 1 and 2

B) if 2, what is the recommended mode of transport

Thanks in advance!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Hi busy - Welcome to San diego!

You might want to consider the Old Town Trolley Tour. It will take you to Coronado, Balboa Park, Old Town, Little Italy. It's Hop On Hop Off.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

You can visit Coronado on your own by taking the Ferry to the Coronado Ferry Landing and then either take a taxi or bus to the Village and Beach. You can also rent bikes or surrey's with the little ones. Both at the Ferry Landing and in the Village.

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

You can hop on the Greenline Trolley to visit Old Town.

http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp

Edited: 17 April 2014, 02:20
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Hi there,

Not sure I understand that you plan to take several taxis to your hotel and then to the zoo the next day? These are quite short trips with the airport being barely 3miles or so from your hotel and the zoo (and Balboa Park in which it is located) about 2+miles from the hotel. Have you looked at the Balboa Park web site?

www.balboapark.org

California law requires car seats for your children so not sure how you plan to handle that part of the equation?

Your hotel is in our small bayfront downtown so you'll also be able to walk along the bayfront and see ships ,browse shops etc.

I probably would not plan to go to Sea World if it were my trip but everyone travels differently. From your hotel without a car the trip would require 2 forms of public transit : our lightrail electric train that we call the trolley to Old Town and then a bus to Sea World.

It is hard to suggest activities for you for Sunday since so far all I can tell is that you enjoy animal theme parks. IF you tell us what interests you besides those we might have more suggestions? Remember that Sunday is Easter Sunday so you may want to make reservations for brunch if you plan to eat out.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Are you planning on bringing car seats for the kids on the airplane and then the cabs? Whenever my nephew visits they bring their car seats with them. So whether you rent a car or take cabs you'll need car seats.

Are you sure that the 3 yr olds would be interested in SeaWorld? I was going to say the same thing about SeaWorld but I also know that some people love it. My nieces weren't interested in a whole lot there at that age a couple of years ago. Mostly had to do with attention span - or lack of it :)

On Sunday you could make a leisurely day of walking along the bay front and seeing the tall ships and the USS Midway. Visit the historic carousel at Seaport Village and see the buskers perform and the activity there. Then take the Ferry to Coronado. Just one idea. There are others depending on what you'd like to do and whether you decide to rent a car.

North Vancouver...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Thank you all for the input! So to clarify something, you need a car seat even for cabs?? If yes, I didn't realize that because in New York and Vancouver you do not need car seats in cabs...We were planning to take cabs only from airport to hotel on Friday and the Saturday to the zoo because these are short trips (instead of renting cars and paying 40/night to park at our hotel when we weren't gonna make much use of the rental)

Sunday of we go to la jolla, we will rent a car. If we do bay front,Coronado and old town etc, it seems we could use trolley/ferry/taxi combo?

We wanted to take our daughter to sea world since it was highly recommended by friends who took their daughter (3yo) and said she loved it (although they didn't make it to the zoo) and my daughter loves animals..for sea world we may go by cab or car rental again (esp if we rent one for Sunday)

Thank you again!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Yes, in California you will need a car seat whether in a car or a cab !

…ca.gov/HealthInfo/injviosaf/Documents/boost…

Taxis are not exempt

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/99_Enf.pdf

<<If we do bay front,Coronado and old town etc, it seems we could use trolley/ferry/taxi combo?>>

To Coronado it would be walking and the ferry . To Old Town the Trolley

If you decide not to bring car seats from the hotel to the Omni if you went to the Zoo on Monday you could take the #7 bus. It's more complicated on the weekend I believe.

https://goo.gl/maps/LqxyQ

To SeaWorld a combo Trolley and Bus

https://goo.gl/maps/AFJtF

From the airport you could take the 992 bus to downtown and then walk to the hotel or change to the Greenline Trolley

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp?from=mobile

Edited: 17 April 2014, 19:20
New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego itinerary help

Coming from NY you really should skip a theme park and see more of the beauty of San Diego. The suggestion to stroll the bay front and seaport village then on to Coronado is excellent. Then I would try to go to Pacific beach walk the boardwalk and watch the surfers then over to La Jolla walk the coastwalk then take the kids to the cove to see the seals.There is so much unknown about the west coast by east coasters...

Edited: 17 April 2014, 20:36
7. Re: San Diego itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:15