We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to the zoo

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambs
Level Contributor
179 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to the zoo

Hi, we are going to be staying in San Diego during the month of August. We are staying at the Manchester grand Hyatt hotel . Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the zoo in San Diego and also to Seaworld.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to the zoo

Hi,

Google maps is your friend when it comes to getting directions for public transit.

Here is a map and explanation of what you need to do.

The zoo is close by and in addition to this public transit option you could also take a short taxi ride:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZsVL0

BTW your hotel is also walking distance to our bayfront where you can see ships from the outside or go onto them to visit. There are other things to see/do besides the 2 animal parks you have mentioned. Let us know if you'd like other ideas.

Don't forget that the zoo is located inside Balboa Park which is a destination in itself:

www.balboapark.org

Sea World is farther away but can also be accessed by public transit.

Here is the map /directions for that:

http://goo.gl/maps/JfzO6

Cambs
Level Contributor
179 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to the zoo

Thankyou for your reply. I would really appreciate any tips on other things to do, as well as other places of interest. We enjoy museums, beaches, eating , shopping. We are visiting for two weeks in August and are a family of three, my Husband, myself and my 21 year old Son.:))))

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to the zoo

Hi again,

Can I assume that you won't have a rental car at your disposal at all??

As I started to say above, you can walk out of your hotel and walk to Seaport Village and The Headquarters which are both specialty store outdoor malls on the bayfront.

The USS Midway aircraft carrier can be viewed from the sidewalk but is much more interesting if you pay to go aboard.

http://www.midway.org/

Farther down the bayfront you'll find our Maritime Museum which has an old sailing ship and a Russian sub to visit:

http://www.sdmaritime.org/

They both will have special events during the summer so check the web sites.

You can take the passenger ferry across the bay to the Coronado area where you can rent bikes , take a bus to the historic Victorian seaside Hotel del Coronado.

You can have a drink;/meal on its seaview patio or in one of the restaurants.

You can use the gorgeous wide white sand beach there too as all of our beaches are public. It is a quiet natural beach with bathrooms but no vendors or services right on the beach.

As I said earlier ,read the web site for Balboa Park as it has interesting small museums of all sorts, live theater, outdoor entertainment ,trails for walking/biking etc.

Downtown also has lots of music venues and live theater.

Farther afield if you don't have a car you can take a tour up to our La Jolla neighborhood to see the seals/sea lions/sea birds in their native environment and scenic beach areas

Here's some tour ideas:

http://tourguidetim.com/la-jolla-tours/

trolleytours.com/san-diego/tour-schedules.asp

A more "happening " beach for your son would be the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach area with volleyball on the beach and lots of young people hanging out. There's a cement sidewalk next to the sand which we call a "boardwalk" where you can walk/bike/skate and there are restaurants/bars along the seafront. NO alcohol is allowed on the sand here.

Let us know if we can offer other ideas. There are more places to go if you had a car for a day.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to the zoo

You can get to zoo using a combination of the trolley and #7 bus. Look at www.sdmts.com for routes as well as google maps as Riff mentions above. We love to go to the zoo for opening on a Sunday then just after lunchtime, get our hands stamped in case we want to return again that day and go out into Balboa Park.

Riff has mentioned Tim's tour of La Jolla which we did in Sept 2011 and it was great. He does a city tour now tour which we are trying on May 12th during our 4th trip to SD.

When you go over to Coronado on the ferry and want to go to the Hotel Del C try not to miss the bus as when we went it was hourly. Have a Delgarita at the beach bar and watch the sun go down over the Pacific.

You can get the trolley and buses to Point Loma and the Cabrillo Monument, it is a lovely view back to the city.

For SeaWorld you may see all the protesters after the film Blackfish. You can make up your own mind whether to go or not.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to the zoo

I forgot to add the shopping options of Horton Plaza, Fashion Valley Mall and the premier outlets at the end of the blue trolley line before Mexico. If you don't hire a car get a compass card and load it with multi day passes

Edited: 05 May 2014, 21:07
Cambs
Level Contributor
179 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to the zoo

Thankyou so much for your help:)) We will be hiring a rental car for about 3 days, so we will definetly visit the surrounding beaches.

7. Re: Day trip to the zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:17