We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

Hi. We have booked a flight to San Diego for June 7th and I am clueless on where to stay! We are planning on Sea Word, the USS Midway, beach time and possibly lego land. From what I have ready everything is pretty spread out so not a specific area is best....which leads to my confusion! We have two small kiddos (any my in-laws) so really need something with bedrooms. Also, i would love a nice pool so in our downtime we can let the kids swim (is it warm enough). I have been looking on VRBO and also hotels but I just don't know which area to pick....San Diego, LaJolla, Corondo, DelMar....HELP! Also, what should I expect for rate? between $300-$400? I would rather stay at someplace nicer but not over the top...maybe 4 star?

ANY and all help is much appreciated! I am starting to think we are way to last minute for this!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

Hi 1000CPA ! The good news is that if you stay near Downtown San Diego, Pacfic Beach, La Jolla (which is a part of the City of SD) or Coronado you will be anywhere from 10 - 20 mins drive between them. So we aren't talking great distances. So I would base your stay on the amenities of the rental or hotel and it's reviews.

Del Mar is the exception. While it's not all that far it will take longer to commute. And the freeway up there does get backed up at certain times.

The closer you get to the beach the fewer house rentals will have pools. There is a highrise Condo in Pacific Beach called Capri by the Sea that has a pool. It's right on the boardwalk.

There is a very popular hotel with families called Homewood Suites Liberty Station. Scenic spot but no beach. Free breakfast, free parking, during the week free drinks and dinners. But, if you can afford a house near the beach that you like I would stay closer to the beach. Just make sure it has a designated parking space!

Edited: 06 May 2014, 03:05
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

thanks! What is the temp around this time? Is the ocean warm enough to swim in? The reason a pool is a nice alternative is that my little ones probably will want to play in the sand but swim in the pool...so nice to have both options, but I know what you mean. Also, I have read that traffic can be a pain in LaJolla?

Thanks!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

If you'd like help finding a rental in a good location feel free to post links here and we can help you.

The water is usually cold. I grew up here and as children we swam in it all year round with our teeth chattering and my Mom sitting on the beach ready with towels :) But, I agree that having a pool would be a very good option.

The traffic into and out of the village of La Jolla can be bad. I lived there for a few months and dreaded it. But if you're heading south you can avoid getting on the Freeway in LJ and get on it in Pacific Beach. It just depends where you are staying and what Freeway on ramp you're close to. So, it frequently can be avoided.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

check if the pools are heated but humphrey's half moon inn came to mind. they have suites with full kitchens and i remember the pools being nice. it's on the bay. my family enjoyed it years ago...don't know how it is now. another spot that might be good is paradise point resort. i don't normally recommend this as there is nothing around so you need to drive everywhere BUT, with kids, they have several nice pools, a beach area although i don't think the water is the safest for swimming in but could play in the sand and put their feet in the water. with kids i figure you will end up driving most places anyways so this might be a consideration. again, it's been years since anyone stayed there that i know so don't know current status.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

what should i expect for pricing? everything I am finding is at least 325/night. is that about right? That is for a place that is at least 1 room or 2 room suite. When I look at houses with 3/4 bedrooms (if we all stay together) it looks like at least $3500 (before fees).

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

Well, for 6 people in one space $325 sounds about right for a 2 bdrm. What hotel is that?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

I have a couple house rental possibilities. One is in Bay park and the other is on state street in San diego. As far as hotels I haven't found anything yet but have a couple I'm looking into and will post as well....any thoughts on the above?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

It depends where on State Street. Parts of State Street runs through Little Italy which is great for restaurants and a park. Further down it is more in the core of Downtown. Further north it can be very residential w/o anything within walking distance. It's about a 10 to 15 mins drive to the beach.

Bay Park - some rentals I've seen are on a hill and have a great view but may not be within walking distance to any restaurants, etc. So it just depends on what's important to you.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

How about the residence inn San Diego downtown? They have a two bedroom suite too.

Thanks!!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego June 7th, Where to stay!! Small Children (4 &1)

There are 2 Residence Inns. I think only the one on Pacific Hwy has 2 bedrooms. Is that the one? If so, you are right across the street from the Bay and can walk along the water where the Maritime Museum, USS Midway, harbor cruises, the ferry to Coronado and Seaport Village are. And Little Italy is just behind it.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 02:48