We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for someplace special....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for someplace special....

We live in San Diego, and dine out often. My daughter is graduating from HS mid June and we're looking for a nice place to take family to lunch. I'd like something with a nice atmosphere, preferably ocean view or ocean front, and somewhat varied menu to suit everyone.

Here's my thoughts so far: Trulock, Georges, Marine Room (may be dated still?), Island Prime - these are not open for lunch; Mr. A's, Ruths Chris, Donavans, Jakes Del Mar are just so so for me; 1500 Ocean, Pheoe's, Pacifica Del Mar, Blue Wave - we do often so it won't be special; Beach house - closed from what I hear.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something unique, or nice oceanview dining that is open for lunch? Any part of the county is fine. Not picky eaters, not picky about the price, just something different for us.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 03:54
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
George's at the Cove
George's at the Cove
2,901 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
Marine Room
Marine Room
641 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Pacifica Del Mar
Pacifica Del Mar
563 Reviews
Del Mar, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,083 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Roy's Marriott Marquis, Top of the Market, C Level, George's Ocean Terrace, Kitchen 1540, A.R. Valentien......

Mentioned in this post
Top of the Market
Top of the Market
438 Reviews
San Diego, CA
C-Level Lounge
C-Level Lounge
950 Reviews
San Diego, CA
George's at the Cove
George's at the Cove
2,901 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
A.R. Valentien at The Lodge at Torrey Pines
A.R. Valentien at The...
564 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Have you tried Tom Ham's Lighthouse? For years it had a bad reputation but they have renovated, gotten a new chef and I'm hearing good things agout it. Fantastic view. My sister lives nearby and she and her husband avoided it for years but went for their anniversary last Nov and really enjoyed it.

www.tomhamslighthouse.com/menus/lunch.html

The same owners also did the same at the Kona Kai on Shelter Island. I'm not sure of the view there though. I think their restaurant only offers a view facing their private beach and boats not the bay - not 100% on that though.

Roy's in the Marriot has a nice outdoor patio. I'm not sure if Top of the Market would be special to you but it has a nice view and the food has always been good.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 04:18
Mentioned in this post
Tom Ham's Lighthouse
Tom Ham's Lighthouse
665 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for someplace special....

I've eaten at Truluck's - no view but good for seafood. Marine Room has possibly the best ocean view in San Diego and sophisticated cuisine. I've been there for lunch so I believe they are open for lunch. Bertrand @ Mr. A's has extremely well-made food, jidori chicken was excellent, it's classy without feeling stuffy, great views though views of the city, not ocean. Also consider EddieV's in La Jolla - ocean view, live music every night, bananas foster served to you on fire. Not sure what their lunch is though.

Mentioned in this post
Marine Room
Marine Room
641 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Bertrand at Mister A'S
Bertrand at Mister A'S
707 Reviews
San Diego, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Eddie V's isn't open for lunch though and that is what the OP is looking for. And they said that Mr A's wouldn't be special for them.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Well they don't have ocean views but have you eaten at the Grande del Mar or at Rancho Valencia? They can be quite special places for a special occasion!

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
1,250 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Thank you very much for your input. I was unaware (or just oblivious) that there was a Roys at the Marriott; Top of the Market has a varied menu which is great. I noticed Tom Ham's has some pretty good reviews that are recent, so maybe it has changed since we were there many, many years ago - I'll look into it; I'll also call the Marine Room today as I can't determine if the do have lunch, but I always liked their views; Grande Del Mar is also a good option - Addisons is dinner but they have several others open through the day and I had completely forgotten Rancho Valencia - I've always enjoyed it. Great starting point, I'm sure one of these will work. Thanks again for your input -

Mentioned in this post
Top of the Market
Top of the Market
438 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Marine Room
Marine Room
641 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
1,250 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Since you also posted in the La Jolla forum, I answered your question about the Marine Room there. They don't do lunch, but have a 4-6 happy hour with very good appetizers.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Marine Room
Marine Room
641 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for someplace special....

Thank you, appreciate it. Haven't been to the Marine Room in years, but we'll have to go have dinner there soon - thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Marine Room
Marine Room
641 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
9. Re: Looking for someplace special....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16