We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap family hotel for 1 night

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
cheap family hotel for 1 night

Hello All,

Need some advice please, I will be visiting the US from Australia and will base ourselves at Anaheim and have a hire car, we were planning on doing day trips to Lego land as well as Sea world but thought it may be more worthwhile to spend one night to save travel time. Could you please suggest any cheaper hotels that would be suitable, we are not fussy -as long as it is clean and comfortable. It would be for 2A + 3C (12,9,7)..... I was hoping to spend around $100 for the night as we would still be paying for the accommodation at Anaheim (Dont see the point in checking in/out from Anaheim).

Would also like to hear opinions on doing this vs doing the day trips....

Thanks in advance

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

Hi Calelem !

Legoland is between Anaheim & San Diego.

https://goo.gl/maps/TCMhj

You could look at the hotel chains that sometimes have cheap deals. Motel 6, Hamptom Inn, Days Inn, maybe even Residence Inn, Comfort Inn. You could stop at Legoland and visit during the day (I caution to not take all your belongings with you if you keep your hotel in Anaheim. Cars do get broken into.) You could then drive on to San Diego and spend the night. Go to SeaWorld the next day. Depending on the day of the week will matter what time you should make the drive back north.

I don't know if you've already bought your airline tickets or not. If you haven't it would make sense to fly into LAX or Orange County and fly home (or wherever your next destination is) out of San Diego.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,628 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

It's helpful if you can include your dates you will be visiting as prices vary alot with the different times of the year. And the people in the San Diego forum can likely tell you what may be going on.

San Diego is a 2 hour drive from Anaheim, and Legoland about a 45 min drive.

Legoland makes the most sense for a daytrip from Anaheim. But I think you idea is a very good one to take at least an overnight in San Diego. Its a fun City to visit with lots to do there besides just SeaWorld.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

So is your plan drive to Seaworld spend the day stay overnight, then do Legoland and drive back to Anaheim that evening?

If so Id look for a place in Hotel Circle which is near SeaWorld. Not very often do I recommend Hotel Circle but you may find a hotel in your budget, they have low end chains like Comfort Suites, etc that plenty of families stay at.

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

thanks for the replies so far......

I have already booked the airline tickets, and before booking I did look at flying out of San Diego but it would add at least an extra $1000 (total) to the flights for the 5 of us.

I was looking at staying the night of Sunday 2 November, visiting Sea World on the Sunday (I have read that they start renovations for the shipwrecked rapids on 3rd Nov) then do Lego land on the Monday.... visit the Carlsbad outlets after legoland and then head back to Anaheim.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

Caleem that sounds like a good plan. I had it backwards w/o thinking. It would be best to work your way north after visiting SeaWorld.

The hotel chains I mentioned pretty much all have locations in Hotel Circle. For your purposes that location should work well for you. Just a few minutes drive to SeaWorld.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,628 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

I would try to spend the longest part of your time in San Diego.

Are you sure you want to visit Legoland with the ages of your children? If its a must for you then do, but its really set up for the 8 and younger crowd, I doubt if the older ones are going to be that interested in it, and its expensive.

When visiting SeaWorld if your driving, consider paying the extra $5 or so for the upfront parking, the parking lot is huge, and it really helps to be able to park close to the entrance. Although you may or may not need that in Nov.

Your dates should have some places pretty inexpensive such as the Days Hotel Hotel Circle South. Its a generic area inbetween two freeways, but there is not noise inside the rooms they are well insulated. Ask for a room at the back of the property. While not a scenic area, the Hotel is a very nice standard place to stay for a nite, and should be around $89 a nite. And a short drive of about 15 min to SeaWorld. You might even want to add the little bit extra for you to get a breakfast, its a pretty good deal.

The Old Town Inn... is in a nicer location not alot farther of a drive and would be a better area to stay in. It should be about the same price as the Days Inn.

Both of these places to stay should allow 5 in a room. Days Hotel does, and the Oldtown Inn should in thier regular 2 queen room, as when you put in 2 adults and 3 children on thier website, the list those type of rooms for 5.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

booking.com has Hampton inn Carlsbad @ $109 that night for 5 persons with breakfast included. It's a refundable rate so you can book now without committing while you decide/ponder.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 07:17
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

Motel 6 is probably going to be the least expensive option. I've used many of their other locations across the USA and found them consistently comfortable and safe, if relatively basic.

At the next price level up, try Super 8: http://goo.gl/00wKoH (link is to Google Maps search results for Super 8 near Legoland)

Sorry, you'd have to check on their web sites to see whether each specific location could offer rollaway beds, otherwise you'd almost certainly have to use two rooms.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,606 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

Motel 6 might or might not the cheapest option. I couldn't get their website to allow me to indicate 5 people in a room so that might not be possible.

The Vagabond Inn on Hotel Circle was showing $109 for 5 people and that includes a breakfast in the morning.

If you do keep the hotel in Anaheim, be sure they know you are going to be gone one night. Otherwise if housekeeping shows up and the beds haven't been slept in, they think the room has been abandoned and remove any items and re-rent it.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 13:33
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,136 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap family hotel for 1 night

I don't know any Motel 6 that has rooms for 5 people. They are cheap because the rooms are small! You can also just put the do not disturb sign out on your Anaheim room and housekeeping won't go in. We often do that because we don't need new towels/sheets every single day!