We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a wonderful 5 nights in May

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
a wonderful 5 nights in May

Hi all, got back on Monday from our three city holiday and I have started to put up hotel, restaurant and attraction reviews and will do a trip report soon. San Diego was hotter than we could have imagined with no May grey. We met the most lovely people while visiting and I can't wait to share the details with you guys. Hope you are all safe from the wildfires

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Can't wait !!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Sorry we didn't plan a TA meet up while you were here! You've visited so many times and we haven't had one while you've been in town!

Glad you had another great trip!

Can't wait to hear more about it!

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Sat 10th May

Taxi from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh 6am

9.25 am United EDI - EWR UA37 B757-200 economy plus seats with AVOD entertainment, chicken meal and turkey roll snack. A little turbulence nothing major

Arrived Newark terminal B, immigration was busy as most flights from Europe arrive at around the same time but within 90 minutes we were post security terminal C having collected bags and handed them back in and then travelled on transfer bus and cleared security.

Lunch at Garden State Dinner

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g46671-d10…

United EWR - SAN UA1140 5pm B737-800 economy plus seats at bulkhead, overhead Lego Movie. We departed late due to plane maintenance then a thunderstorm which grounded all Newark take offs. Needed to buy a Jack to steady my nerves $7.99

We finally land at SAN gate 38 at 8.47 tired but excited. It is the first time we have started our holiday in San Diego. We quickly got through terminal 2 and got our baggage then a taxi to Hotel Solamar

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d48…

Room 914 was lovely and quiet and I unpacked our night clothes and toilet bags and had our welcome snack before drifting off to sleep.

Sun 11th May

We initially woke about 5am and decided we would leave the zoo and Balboa Park until Tuesday and have a day to recover from flying. We snoozed until about 8am and then watched some EPL soccer as it was the last day of the season. I pottered around our beautiful room and unpacked and showered. We knew it was USA mothers day so were not surprised when we could not get a table at the Broken Yolk Café at 10.30 am. I had an alternative plan to try the IHOP express. It was busy too but Ally managed to get us a booth and I ordered at the counter. The menu is smaller than a normal IHOP but we had a French toast combo that made me feel back in the USA.

We went over to Horton Plaza, tripadvisor.co.uk/… and right up to level 4 for Hot Topic and Comics n Stuff as we love US pop culture and tv. We spend lots straight away on Supernatural and Walking Dead figures. We also spent some time in Macys and then made purchases in the Hard Rock Café rock shop. We took our shopping back to Solamar and had a little siesta before buying our compass cards with a 4 day pass at the Gaslamp trolley station and going out to Fashion Valley Mall, tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d15… It felt strange not walking down to the Handlery where we usually stay. We looked around more shops before going to the Cheesecake Factory

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d36…

We enjoyed a nightcap by the pool at Solamar's outside bar.

In our emails, we got disappointing news that our Wednesday sail was cancelled

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d10…

Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs to follow

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Mon 12th May

Up early to get Trolley to Santa Fe station for 9am to go on Tim's new tour of the city and Coronado.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d65…

After the tour we walked along to the Embarcadero. What a mess it is in with the construction around why the Coronado ferry leaves. We walked down past Midway and through a corner of Seaport Village to Headquarters. Loved looking around the Kitson shop and the art gallery and many of the other shops. We decided to have another Cheesecake factory meal but lunch this time.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d59…

It was so hot when we came out that we took the trolley 2 stops from Seaport Village to Gaslamp and went and sat in the shade at the hotel terrace bar and had some drinks. We had a lazy evening in hotel room watching tv as 24 LAPD was on and we were at the same episode in the UK.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Nice start, Marion!

Keep it coming....

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,636 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Great TR Marion! It is so nice to get feedback from visitors on what they liked and didn't like.

I am looking forward to more :)

Level Contributor
35,226 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Awesome trip report.. San Diego is such a fun city! :).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

Thanks for mentioning Tim's new tour. I always suggest his original La Jolla one and didn't know about this one. Glad you liked it.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

thank you all for your kind words so far

Tues 13th May

As you may know my main reason for visiting San Diego is to go to the zoo to see the Panda family.

We got up early and went for breakfast at the Broken Yolk Café

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d22…

We then took the trolley to 12th and Imperial then City College and got #7 bus to Balboa Park Rose and Cactus Gardens and walked to the zoo entrance

I thought Sept 2011 was hot in San Diego but our May days were scorching. Everyone kept on saying it should be about 20 degrees cooler.

After the zoo we popped into the Spanish Village Art Center as I wanted to get a glass paperweight

Due to the heat we decided not to investigate Balboa Park further, the air and space museum will have to wait until next time.

We got the #7 bus back to 6th Avenue and Broadway and went back to the hotel for a rest and to change for dinner.

We walked up 5th Avenue and went for dinner at the House of Blues

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60750-d22…

Afterwards we took the trolley from C street to Santa Fe then down to Gaslamp. I love the trolley and like the new carriages.

We went for a nightcap at the 4th floor hotel pool bar.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a wonderful 5 nights in May

I remember that mini heat wave. It was really HOT up here in LA too!