We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-cruise Hotel

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-cruise Hotel

We'll be cruising from San Diego April 2015 & haven't got a clue. We'll only have one day and we aren't planning on renting a car. We're thinking of staying in the Gaslight area but the only thing we're sure of is we do not want to stay in hotel circle.

Four of us are traveling & we'll need 2 rooms hopefully for under $200/night. Is that realistic? Also need info on cost from the airport, to the port, & what we can do/see easily in the one full day we'll be there.

Any help, information, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

Hi,

Everything is close together and quite easy for you.

Our airport is barely 3miles from the cruise port and the rest of downtown.

The gaslamp entertainment district is only a few blocks of our bayfront downtown.

You can stay anywhere in downtown and be able to get to the port easily.

1 reasonably priced hotel facing the port would by the Wyndham Bayside. It is right across the street. Another nearby hotel would be the Best Western Bayside.

You can use the hop on hop off tour if you like to see some sights:

www.trolleytours.com

There are many other hotels at all price points.

I think the BW has a free shuttle from the airport but if you don't stay there there's a normal city bus into downtown or since it is only 3 miles a taxi won't cost much either!

IF you don't want to take the ho ho tour then look at its stops and decide which you'd like to visit and we can tell you how to take public transit to any of the places.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

A very good source of cruise information is the tripadvisor affiliated sight on cruisecritic.com. Here there is the "port of call" section where you can get all sorts of specific information on different ports from veteran cruisers and the "Roll Call" section where you can communicate directly with people on your specific cruise to possibly arrange independent land tours or other activities. Enjoy your cruise.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

Four individuals or two couples?

Two couples I'd look first at La Pensione in Little Italy.

After that maybe the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn, the Bristol and the Sofia.

I wouldn't stay in the Gaslamp probably. All the hotels I've mentioned are walkable to the Gaslamp to see it (La Pensione maybe more of a trolley ride), but they are out of the busy area.

http://goo.gl/maps/XUWUt

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

We'll definitely check out the Hop on Hop Off.

We're looking at all the hotels suggested. Any thoughts on the Urban Boutique Hotel? Pricing is excellent for our dates.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

Hmm? I have not hear this hotel mentioned at all. Will have to visit it myself to see.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,887 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

The location is very good, like Riff I don't know anything about it, but looking at pictures and reading reviews on TA it looks like a lower end no frills spot which probably explains the price.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

I agree that the location is very good and pricing is low because it is a low end property not because you are getting a particularly special rate .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

The property is a new conversion and had some hiccups in opening.

What is a "really good rate"?

Did you look at La Pensione? If La Pensione is less or a bit more I'd take the sure thing over the still emerging Urban Boutique.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

Here is the previous topic on UBH with the hiccups detailed.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k717765…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-cruise Hotel

La Pensione isn't available yet for the dates I need. Their website says rooms starting at $119/nt but when I plugged in a couple of random dates, the lowest rate I got was $239/nt. The real problem is our beer budget & champagne taste are bumping into each other! :) The Sophia is also over our price point. Bristol is close but it may work. Any thoughts on Hotel Indigo?

We love the idea of staying in a small, boutique hotel in Little Italy or close to it instead of one of the chains but we may end up at the Holiday Inn Express............. (:

Edited: 10 June 2014, 02:19