We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

Kids live in LA and have found gone to Venice, Hermosa and Long beach. Really found them to be so wide.

Want to be near the water and pool. Is the beach in front of Pacific Terrace as wide as LA beaches? Any condo complexes that would be on the beach with a pool? Are 2 rooms at Pacific Terrace a good idea. We are going over 4th of July.

Thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

mbleyaert - If you plan on 4th of July you are a little late in planning! You might have to take what you can get for beach accommodations.

Pacific Terrace is a good location. I think the beach there is close to Venice Beach insofar as the boardwalk. But not the muscle man environment. PT is in front of a boardwalk and the beach is on the other side.

Next door is a condo bldg called Capri ty the Sea. From what I've read and understand the pool is next door and not facing the beach. But I could be wrong about that. Unless you rent in a condo or apartment complex most rentals will not have a pool.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,065 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

When you say 'wide', do you mean the distance from the water's edge to the Boardwalk (in other words, the depth of the beach)? If so, I find beaches in southern California not to be wide at all. I grew up in New York and used to go to Jones Beach. From the parking lot, we would step onto the beach and it would take 10 or 15 minutes to reach the water's edge. Our beaches are no where near as wide.

Here's a link to photos of the Pacific Beach Hotel.

www.pacificterrace.com/photoGallery-en.html

If you scroll down to the little photos and click on the one in the upper left corner of the bunch, it shows you the beach. From the bicycle path to the water's edge looks to be a walk of about 30 seconds (certainly shorter than the walk across most beaches in Hermosa, Long Beach and Venice, where the walk would be more like 75 seconds.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,829 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

The only beach in SD I consider wide is Coronado, and I like it wide because it makes it seem like its never crowded. But, all other beaches other beaches may be considered wide to you too based on what you have written.

If you want little sand between the water and the sidewalk, go to La Jolla Shores. Ill never go there agin because there is not enough sand. Last time I was there on a weekend I felt like I was in another somewhere where Ive only seen on TV where people are nearly shoulder to shoulder laying on the beach. Then the tide came up and it got even more cramped.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,089 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

The Pacific Terrace is a lovely modern hotel on the cement pathway we call a "boardwalk" facing the ocean and sandy beach. I am also from the east coast where our beaches are MUCH wider than the beach there so I don't consider it far from the water at all BUT you may??

We have few hotels right ON the sand. The La Jolla Shores Hotel is one of them. The beach there is less wide and at high tide even less so.

Either place would be a lovely spot for a beach vacation.

Condos/rental houses at the ocean do not usually have pools unless you are at the very top end which will be VERY expensive! You don't say your budget for this lodging but be aware that beachfront rentals(hotel or house or condo) will be very expensive in summer and especially July 4th weekend!!

ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

I am used to Florida beaches and living in Michigan when something is on the beach the water might only be 200 feet away. Thanks for the help.

How does the Blue Sea which used to be a Best Western compare to Pacific Terrace?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

I agree that Coronado has a very nice wide beach. Is it as wide as East Coast beaches, I don't know.

Manhattan Beach and close by do have pretty wide beaches for So Calif, IMO.

Pacific Beach to me is more like Venice Beach - as I said. A bit more gritty.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

I stayed at Capri...the condo was spacious and beautiful and great location...the pool however is in the back. For a nicer pool location I would go with Pacific Terrace.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,089 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

Blue Sea's location is comparable to the Pacific Terrace. It is not as new and probably 3***vs.4**** in amenities. Perfectly nice spot though as is the Ocean Park Inn nearby.

Strange your comparison to Florida as I was on South Beach in Miami this past winter and the ocean was MUCH farther away from the hotels than our beaches!

Not sure where in Florida you've been??

ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

Well you are right there are slot of wide beaches in Florida but I have been to Fort Meyers beach and can't remember others where condo sat really close to beach.

Actually I'm now thinking of North Coast village as I can get a condo there much cheaper then hotel rooms

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,881 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 adults and 6 mo old want to be close to beach & pool

No way would I stay in Oceanside for a "San Diego" vacation. Any further north and you'd be in Orange County. It is 40 minutes minimum to San Diego and the sights of SD. I say minimum because it can be 90 minutes at the wrong time of day (commuter hours).

If you are looking for a condo now, I'd look at the topic below and contact one of the local agencies like Bill Luther, Mission Sands or Penny Realty to find a house/condo in Mission Beach or South Mission Beach. In South Mission there are some great deals on the bay side vs the beach side, but the peninsula is so narrow there, even if you are bay side the beach is only two blocks away.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k690231…

See the map of South Mission here.

http://goo.gl/maps/TxvPw