We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

I was wondering if the lovely people on this board could help me find a great restaurant(s). Heres the details.

I will be visiting family friends at the beginning of December and they are going to allow me to stay at their house. I want to do something nice for them and treat them to an expensive restaurant. My options are to either pay to take out their family at a family friendly restaurant (they have an infant and 3 year old) that they may not have the money to go to themselves (had considered The Crown Room brunch) OR to give them cash to go out as a couple to a fancy/romantic restaurant of their choice and watch their kids. Since they will have a newborn they may either jump at this option or they may not be ready to leave their newborn...hence needing two options.

Is The Crown Room at the Coronado a good option in this instance, or is it not very child friendly?

My budget would be $250. I know The Crown Room Sunday brunch is a little over that, but the kids eat free.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

may - such a nice gesture on your part to treat your friends!

Of course, the perfect scenario would be that they would go to brunch and let you take care of the kids.

If they choose not to do that I think most hotel restaurants are used to children, especially during brunch, lunch.

I'm sure your friends are considerate people. I will only say that I took my elderly Mother to a lovely brunch in an upscale hotel in Downtown San Diego a couple of years back. We were sat at a table next to a couple with a baby. I will only say that thankfully they left about an hour after we arrived. They just ate and talked to each other all the while that their child fussed, cried, made noise with barely more than an occasional pat or shake to the child. No concern at all for the people around them who had paid a fair amount of money to enjoy a nice brunch. As they left, everyone around breathed a sigh of relief as we all looked at each other and shaking our heads.

I hope you have a great trip to San Diego!

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

Oh no! That's exactly the scenario I am trying to avoid. I don't want something so fancy that kids are frowned upon but nice enough that I feels like a treat!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

may - the thing is the parents. If the children fuss are they not the type to take the child away for a bit until it's over. The people around won't be happy. The Crown Room, as you know, is not inexpensive and people pay a lot of money to eat there. If the toddler and baby are quiet noone will care. If not, that's the whole other scenario. I'm sure the hotel itself is used to children in their dining rooms.

I'm not going to judge your friends because I don't know them. I would hope if they went with their children they would respect any disruption to the people around them. Whether the meal is $50 or $150.

I understand your dilemma with not knowing if they will leave the kids while they go out or not. That's a tough one.

BTW - where do they live? Do they live near Coronado? If not so much, maybe people will have some other ideas or suggestions close to home.

Alaska
Level Contributor
820 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

I already realize that...the parents are fine and will remove the child if she cries. Believe me, I'm a single person that gets annoyed by parents who don't remove or discipline their kids and it thus ruins the experience for the people around them.

That isn't my concern here. My concern is whether families are welcomed and if there are child friendly foods. The Crown Room says kids eat free, so I'm guessig theyre not unheard of there. Also, I'm not looking for IHOP which, while welcoming to kids won't be very exciting for the adults. I'm looking for something that's a little more upscale but will cater to kids and adults alike. I'm not expecting the place to put up with screaming kids and assuming that's what I'm asking is kind of ridiculous if you knew how respectful I am to fellow diners.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

Like I said, I'm sure the hotel is very used to children. As most are. So that part of it is fine. Since they say that children eat free they must have chid friendly food. I don't think you need to worry about that. And you know your friends so it sounds like that is also fine.

OK I just took a minute and looked at their brunch menu. I guess whether or not the food is child friendly or not depends on the child. Unless I missed it I don't see a childs menu. so the parents would have to look at the offerings and see what their child will eat. It looks like if the child will eat eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, potatoes and the like it should be just fine. Of course, if they are a bit more adventurous it looks like that's fine, too!

You are making a very nice and generous gesture.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

Send them to either Bertrand at Mr. A's near downtown or the Marine Room in La Jolla. Both have great views, have sophisticated food, and are very expensive. While they go there, take the kids to the wacky Corvette Diner where they can bounce off the walls and nobody will even notice.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

sunshine gives a lot of good advice.

But I would not under any circumstance take a 3 yr old and an infant to Corvette Diner !!

Perhaps, sunshine didn't read the whole thread?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

How about Roy's Restaurant in downtown San Diego. They have a child's menu and a patio for outside dining.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

The Crown Room is beautiful and of course very pricey but to me there's no buffet that is worth that amount of money with food laying out and a serve yourself atmosphere.

I'd rather sit at a lovely table with a view of the ocean and have someone serve me.

Just my preference.

In addition to the other suggestions you might consider The Shores restaurant at the La Jolla Shores Hotel. It has lovely views. It is overseen by the same chef as the Marine Room so a nice menu but the hotel is used to families so also used to children.

IF they don't accept your kind offer to babysit then this is certainly a place where all could enjoy a meal!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child-Friendly High-End Restaurant Options?

how many nights are you going to be staying with them. i ask because if a friend of mine was only staying with me for 4 nights or less, as a host i wouldn't want to spend one night "away" from them. so, in that case i would (a) pick a not so fancy restaurant, but one with a good view and go for a lunch. there are a few placees on the boardwalk at pacific beach....have lunch and you could walk the boardwalk or (b) inquire if they have a babysitter that they use. pay for her/him to come in and the 3 adults go out to a fancier place

or, if you are staying longer so a night apart wouldn't be a big deal, i think you staying at home and them going out is a good idea. i would present them with a note/card at the beginning of your stay so they can plan. in the note, i would mentioned that you had heard that "these restaurants were recommended" and list a few. this is a polite way of telling them that you are willing and wanting them to go fancy. but, they might just have a favorite casual restaurant they want. but then there is the question how you'll pay.

or, just buy them a gift certificate for one of the nice places and let them figure out when they want to go and how they'll get a babysitter after you are gone.

remember, have a good sense how they are feeling...they are the ones who live there. i occassionally had company stay with me and they'd offer to take me out to "such & such place" (seaport village comes to mind). it was a little awkward to tell them i didn't like it there and it was a tourist trap. so if they pick a less expense place that's not fancy...it doesn't mean they don't appreciate the jester....they just know where there is good food and where they are comfortable.