We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Hi,

My best friend and I plan on visiting San Diego in mid-late October. We do not want to drive while out there. What are some of the best places to stay in regards to walking to restaurants, bars, shops etc? We would like to see the Zoo and Safari while there as well. And are there any other attraction suggestions or tours?

Thank you.

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Hi,

San Diego is a large spread out city with many things to see/do!

You cannot be in walking distance to all these possibilities!! We are totally different from the large east coast cities with which you may be more familiar.

The Safari Park is 40min.(driving time) NE of downtown in the city of Escondido. It is not easily accessible by public transit although there is a brand new express bus service that now goes from downtown to Escondido. I am not sure where in relation to the park that it drops off.

IF you want easy access to public transit,(lightrail + buses) then you need to stay in downtown, Little Italy(just north of downtown) or Old Town(just north of Little Italy).

If you let us know your budget in $s we can make suggestions of hotels.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Hi,

Thanks for replying so fast. I also sent you a message, I hope you don’t mind.

The cheaper the better, obviously! The hotel has to be at least 3 STARS. I was on EXPEDIA looking at hotels/locations in the downtown area and definitely would like to keep it under $800 (per person) that includes our flight.

Is LITTLE ITALY part of the Downtown area?

Thank you for the info on the Bus, I will research that!

What about the Zoo? Is that easy accessible from downtown? What other things are there to do? Such as Tours or anything fun really.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Also, we would like to go out on a FERRY or SAILING TOUR or something like that! thanks!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Hi again,

The zoo and Balboa Park(:where the zoo is located) is easy to reach from downtown.

Little Italy is just north of downtown and from there you can walk to restaurants and also use our lightrail to get to more places downtown too.

There is a passenger ferry in downtown that takes you across the bay to an area called Coronado. There is a beautiful beach there and an old historic hotel to visit and maybe get a drink or lunch etc. You can rent bikes to ride along the bayfront.

You can also take a Harbor Tour from downtown San Diego or a tour to our La Jolla neighborhood with Tourguide Tim.

http://tourguidetim.com/la-jolla-tours/

There are also hop on hop off bus tours:

www.trolleytours.com

See:

www.balboapark.org

www.thebigbay.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Sorry but I cannot tell about hotel budget when you have it included with your flight.

I don't usually do that so cannot tell you about separate hotel prices that way.

The place I suggested is cute and inexpensive and in a great neighborhood.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

Thank you so much for your help!! I will look at the places you've suggested :)

7. Re: Best hotel for walking to attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:17