We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th in La Jolla

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th in La Jolla

We will be renting a condo in La Jolla for our visit to San Diego July 1-28th. Any recommendations for watching the fireworks nearby?

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

Where exactly is your condo as some "La Jolla" addresses are not really near the ocean.

There will be fireworks at La Jolla Cove but you'd probably need to spend the day there in order to get parking unless you are in walking distance. The Brockton Villa restaurant is selling fire works party tickets for an evening over looking the cove.

There are also fireworks at Sea World about 15min. south. You can see them from the road outside of Sea World if you don't actually want to go inside the park.

The best fireworks(IMO) are downtown on the bayfront because you can see at least 3 shows from the viewpoint. The USS Midway aircraft carrier is also selling special fireworks tickets with activities/food on board while waiting for the show to start.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

The unit is on Via Alacante. Supposed to be about 3 miles from beach. Read that there are fireworks at LaJolla cove. Might be able to walk??

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

HI there,

Via Alicante is kind of down the block and around the corner from where I live.

It is a bit over 4 miles from there to La Jolla Cove. I don't think I'd try to walk it.

BTW privately we call the area "fake" La Jolla since it is not really at the beach.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

I should add that the 4+miles is by the road so that it may be a little shorter since of a walk since you can cut through areas on foot through back ways but still 3miles in the dark is a long walk at night on the way home.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

Thanks for your reply. Is the neighborhood questionable? I would think after the fireworks, there would be a lot of people out and about.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

No no! The neighborhood is not questionable at all!

I just would not think of walking that distance through quiet residential areas, over hills at night. It is not dangerous!! Just not something I would ordinarily do.

Perhaps ask ellelajolla about it as she lives on the top of one of the hills nearby and perhaps has done that walk.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

Agree with Riff. The neighborhood is very safe, but, in my opinion, I just wouldn't want to do a 3+ mile walk (so maybe 40 minutes to an hour of walking) over hills after 9:30 at night no matter where I was. A cab just seems so much easier, since you'll probably be tired after a day of sunshine and celebrating the 4th! San Diego will indeed be crowded, but I'd sure you will be able to find a great spot to see the fireworks. So many different communities will be having a show so you will probably be able to see at least 1 from no matter where you are in San Diego.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

La Jolla--even "fake" LJ--is very safe as Riff M said. Walking from Via Alicante to the LJ Cove is definitely too far. Even walking to La Jolla Shores where the fireworks are visible will still be a haul because of the steep hills in between.

If you decide to watch the fireworks at the LJ Cove, go early in the afternoon and have an late lunch/early dinner at one of the restaurants in the village. Street parking will be free on the 4th of July but will fill up fast. Bring a blanket or low sand chairs and stake out a spot on the grass at the Cove like the locals do.

9. Re: July 4th in La Jolla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:16