We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

We are traveling to San Diego in late July (just after Comic Com) with our 13 and 15 yr old daughters. I have 2 questions that I am hoping to get some help with. First, my daughters would like to take surf lessons. Can anyone recommend a company for a first time surfer? We have a car and are not staying near a beach so we are happy to drive to any local beach. Also, my daughters love live music. I am wondering if there are any places where we can hear live music that they will allow under 21 year olds. It can be early in the evening - I assume that even if they allow people under 21 years, they would need to be out by a certain time. If you have other ideas for some evening activities for all of us, that would be greatly appreciated also. Again, we have a car so can travel to the beaches or Gaslamp or wherever. Thanks so much!

San Diego
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

I hear great things about Surf Diva Surf School. Can't help with the live music.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

Yes, I agree that surf diva is a good place to start.

http://www.surfdiva.com/surf-san-diego

They are located at La Jolla Shores and would be great for your girls!

As for live music , you can buy concert tickets depending on your dates here.

See:

http://www.humphreysconcerts.com/

Remember this is a large city with theater, music etc.

There are outdoor concerts in Balboa Park. and other neighborhood parks.

The Catamaran Hotel has luaus with music. Other hotels offer different sorts of entertainment as well. Perhaps let us know where you are staying?

I cannot tell you which restaurant/bar has music and will allow under 21s so that's why I suggested concerts.

Take a look here:

www.sdreader.com to see what's going on and if something looks good maybe ask specific questions about it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

Thanks for your replies. I will check out Surf Diva and look into the activities that you mentioned. We are actually staying at the Lafayette Hotel in the North Park area. We have a car and really liked having 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms so it seemed like a good choice for us. Thanks again for the assistance!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

The Lafayette is an interesting choice for a hotel. Right next door is the Red Fox Room, a neighborhood fixture (steakhouse/bar) with life piano music. Probably not for your kids, though.

The only place I can think of for the under 21 crowd is SOMA, but your kids may be too young for that.

Surf Diva is great and owned and operated by a local woman who wanted a surf school where girls and women would feel comfortable. They have been in operation for almost 20 years.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

I think the only consistent live music would things like Jazz at a few Restaurants and Cafes, check the jazz88.org website. A lot of the coffeeshops do have live music in the evenings, i think claire de lune in north park, maybe Rebecca's in south park. Mostly there is rock/punk rock/noise tho which i think Che Cafe (all ages) and Queen Bee's in North Park might have the occasional all ages show. Not sure if that helps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

For live music, a lot of bars in the Gas Lamp have live music and allow people under 21 to enter for dinner early in the evening. You could walk around the Gas Lamp area before 7pm on a Friday or Saturday and watch for a place with live music. There are also a lot of open mic events in the north park area that are open to all ages and feature some pretty good talent.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

The Lafayette seems to be coming into its own.

They are having Jazz pool parties on Saturdays and Rockabilly on Sundays:

lafayettehotelsd.com/events/hotel-events.htm

A few years ago when I recommended it to a family they got there and then checked out quite quickly! I felt bad at the time. I am hoping this is the "new " Lafayette and they have upgraded and changed management or owners.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 21:59
Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

I have been studying the reviews on Trip Advisor for a few months and they all seem very positive. The hotel was recommended for families in a recent edition of Frommer's or Fodor's or one of those travel books (that's how we found it). We had a low budget and figured we would need to drive many places we wanted to go, since we could only choose one area to stay in. We tend to use a hotel for sleep only - up and out all day. So, having beds for everyone, separate room for the adults and 2 bathrooms for 2 teenage girls was quite tempting. I will post after we get back to give everyone some feedback. Cross your fingers for me.

And, thanks for all of the ideas.

Also, any restaurant recommendations in the North Park area?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

Lots of restaurant possibilities:

Practically across the street is the Pomeganate Restaurant with cuisine from the Republic of Georgia(x part of the USSR). On the same side of the street is an iconic San Diego restaurants The Chicken Pie Shop. Funny though I love chicken pot pie and I don't like their version but it has been a staple here for YEARS!!

Once you get to 30th street you can go up and down that street in either direction to find good spots including Tiolis Crazee Burgers(from all sorts of animals not just beef)

There's Urban Solace and Ranchos for Mexican with a veggie flourish, and along University there's the Mission. There are many more depending on the type of food you wish. For a real back to the 60s vibe for a comfy coffee house atmosphere go to Clair de Lune. They also have music at times.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf lessons and evening out for daughters

A year ago I would not recommend La Fayette. It just had terrible reviews.

I did take some time yesterday to read some reviews and get updated. Still, seeing some recent pictures of the pool parties I would question having kids in that kind of a crowd with alcohol freely served. But, the reviews seem to be OK. There was one recent review on yelp.com (I think) where 2 mothers took their kids and encountered adult activity in the hotel hall and nudity (flashing) at the pool.

travel43 - sounds like you won't be spending much time there so hopefully it will go well for you and you won't encounter any problems. It sounds as though they are either under new management or ownership or just got tired of all the horrible reviews and just cleaned up their act. Please do let us know how you find the hotel and how much time you actually spend there and what you witnessed at the pool parties. Also, I've still read about thin walls so let us know about that, too, please.

Enjoy your time in San Diego!

Edited: 22 July 2014, 23:49