We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go from San Diego

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
548 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go from San Diego

Figured this would be a reasonable place to post this...

We are going to be in San Diego with our 1 year old for a conference next March. Since we live on the east coast, figured we would use this trip as an opportunity to check out some other vacation spot on the west coast after the conference. We are basically looking for somewhere beautiful, pretty quiet, and relaxing for 3 nights or so. Good food a big plus. On the beach is the plan, though could be convinced otherwise. More concerned with beach views and walking than actual swimming. Need a suite (or at least a huge patio) so we can stay up after baby goes to sleep. Budget under $1000 night, preferably a bit under that.

A few options we've thought of so far:

Cabo - actually booked a room at the Hyatt Ziva AI as I found a good rate. A bit worried though that it won't be particularly relaxing. Capella Pedregal looks more up my alley, though $1100/night for a suite is a bit more than I want to pay.

Punta Mita - St Regis looks nice. Sightly less convenient (no non-stop back east).

Somewhere near San Diego or up towards LA - no idea really. Auberge del Mar was recommended, though the price for a suite seems insane.

Anything else? Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
San Diego...
Level Contributor
627 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go from San Diego

Santa Barbara is a beautiful destination that meets a lot of your requirements. We stayed at the Bacara with our one year old son a few years back. There are other resorts close to the beach. March will not be typical beach, swimming weather but it's a beautiful coastline. Definitely great food and wine. There is some chance of rain in March.

Cabo is a bit of a party destination. But if you pick a family friendly resort and spend most of your time there it can be a nice relaxing time. We liked Dreams Cabo with our kids. Upscale all-inclusive.

We actually just returned from Punta Mita (Four Seasons) and it's beautiful but it's a bit more of a hassle even with a non-stop from SD. About an hour ride from the airport. Not sure I'd take the added travel time for a three day trip.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
2. Re: Where to go from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16