We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Would it be too much of a squeeze to go to the USS Midway for half the day then make our way to the SD Zoo for the remaining day and onto the night? Lunch would be at either area. We would have a car. Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Hi tuf - WHEN is this planned for? If it's a day that the Zoo is opened until 9:00pm by Sept 1 it can be done.

Otherwise, it really isn't a good idea.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Yes, planning to go to the zoo Wednesday August 6th. Any suggestions to eat at either areas for seafood, USS Midway (lunch) and or SD Zoo (lunch or dinner)?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Next door to the USS Midway is

The Fish Market and the nicer and less noisey The Top of the Market which is upstairs.

https://www.thefishmarket.com/default.aspx

https:/…topofthemarket.aspx

The food is very good. Very well prepared at both.

There's also Anthony's Fish Grotto. I took a friend there and she commented that it was like eating at one of the cafeteria style places at Disneyland. Even though it's not cafeteria. It just has that 'feel' about it. Very cheap feel.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,619 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Hi,

The only thing we enjoy at Anthonys lately is their red chowder and sitting with it outside overlooking the bay.

The zoo has a decent sit down restaurant,Alberts, in addition to the fast food options but it is not known for seafood. Inside Balboa Park (where the zoo is located) there's also The Prado restaurant which I enjoy but it is not a strictly "seafood" place.

I agree that the only seafood spot that makes sense for your very busy day is the one described above!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

By doing the zoo later in the day many of the animals will not be very active until the weather cools off again (which may or may not happen as day turns to night). You can definitely do both activities since the zoo will be open late, you just may not be able to see the animals as active as they tend to be in the early mornings. They Midway is great though, so if it is something of interest, definitely go! I always enjoy it.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

What about doing the zoo first, then the Midway? Wouldn't the build-up of crowds into the afternoon be more of a factor at the zoo? I've been to both. Midway good for ship, plane and/or history fans.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

reversing it would be my recommendation. get there right for 9:00. i'd just eat popcorn and snacks while at the zoo (so you don't waste time sitting in a restaurant). then you could do the midway and pick a nice restaurant for a good dinner. when you go to the zoo, i recommend you take the bus tour first to get an overview of the zoo. also check the show schedule to see if there is anything you want to see so you can make sure you are in that area at the right time. that's a good opportunity to grab a snack and sit down for a bit.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

See that's why I love this site... Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and inputs. Yes, we're into that historical stuff. We'll go to the zoo first then to the USS Midway (if kids are ready to leave the zoo haha) then dinner to either The Fish Market or Top of the Fish Market. So looking forward to our trip. Thanks again.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

Yes, get to the zoo when it opens at 9 a.m. as the animals will be more active then. The zoo does allow you to bring your own food in; you can't bring coolers in, but you can bring your own food and drinks. There are plenty of snack stands inside the zoo and a full-service restaurant (Albert's). Don't forget to go through the Children's Zoo within the zoo.

Outside the zoo exit is the miniature train ride ($3) and you can walk to the Prado area of the park in about 5 minutes. The Village Grill is a quick-service food counter and the Prado restaurant, with a nice outdoor patio in back, is about another 5-minute walk away. There are about 10 other places in the park that serve food; see www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/Restaurants

All the gardens in the park are free except the Japanese garden. All the museums in the park have a charge to get in except the Timken art gallery. The Natural History Museum, with dinosaur and other exhibits, and the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater with its science exhibits are the 2 museums closest to the zoo exit. There are many other things to see and do; see http://balboapark.org

If you are in the Point Loma or Liberty Station area during your trip, you might treat the kids to a meal at the wacky Corvette Diner which was designed to keep kids continuously entertained.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 21:31
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USS Midway 1/2 day with SD Zoo remaining afternoon/night

OMG thanks sunrisesandiego. Didn't know so much besides the zoo. My oldest (7 year old) is into dinosaurs. Looks like we more likely will be at Balboa Park all day haha. Thanks again for all your suggestions.