We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

San Diego is our last leg of our American Tour and we are spending 3 nights before flying to UK.

The day we arrive we will already have been whale watching early morning at Dana Point so should arrive mid afternoon. We do want to visit the Zoo and SeaWorld with our 14 year old daughter. Our flight back is not until evening so really do not have to go to the airport until 4.

What else should we fit in and and where to stay? I had thought of Mission Beach to try and have a little relaxation after city hopping the previous two weeks but want to see a little of San Diego too.

Can anybody please direct me as what not to miss, how to go about it and best place to stay? Was thinking of Loews Coronado, Paradise Point or Catamaran Resort or should we be looking at a hotel downtown with bayviews and pool? We will have a car. Thanks!

Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

sorry - meant to add that we will have a car and do not want to have to drive in the evenings to seek out restaurants but want somewhere with a bit of life!

Arriving 27/08/14 and leaving 30/08/14.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

you don't have a lot of time and if you are doing the zoo and sea world, that's 2 full days so don't "plan" anything else. of the places you named, i would definitely recommend the catamaran. it is very close to pacific beach and lots of restaurants. so on your "downtime" you can just enjoy the area, walking along the bay, enjoying the beach, renting boogie boards, bikes, roller blades, enjoying the sunset, walk along the boardwalk between pacific and mission beach. the pool area at the catamaran is nice. there is nothing fancy about this hotel. you are paying for the great location. it's very easy to get to the zoo and sea world from there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

I would base myself on Coronado. It is close to everything and is a great place to walk to shops and restaurants in the evening.

Mission Beach is a bit more hectic.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

<<sorry - meant to add that we will have a car and do not want to have to drive in the evenings to seek out restaurants but want somewhere with a bit of life!>>

Hi anneen - that being the case then you do Not want to stay at Loews Coronado or Paradise Point, Both are isolated with nothing in walking distance.

Have you looked at the Glorietta Bay Inn or the Coronado Marriott?

What time of year is your visit? The Catamaran is a good location on Mission Bay but it's only a block from Pacific Beach. So you have the best of both. Lots of restaurants and activity around.

Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

I am now wondering whether we should consider the Manchester Grand Hyatt? Hotels.com are showing great deals on club rooms including breakfast. Considering we are going to the Zoo and seaWorld on our 2 full days, would the Hyatt be good enough for eating out, pool etc? Have read reviews on my 3 shortlists and none stand out. We particularly like modern rooms which the Loews can provide but then it is isolated from anything else? Coronado rooms look dated.

Please help. We shall be there 27/08 to 30/08.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

<< We particularly like modern rooms which the Loews can provide but then it is isolated from anything else?>>

As said, there is nothing in walking distance to Loews. It's almost 5 miles to the beginning of the restaurants in Coronado.

https://goo.gl/maps/acGH9

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is walking distance to a lot of restaurants. You can also walk to the USS Midway and the Maritime Museum. The Harbor cruises are also right there. If you wanted to you can take the Ferry to Coronado or drive in your car in a few minutes. The rooms are modern.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

Which rooms look dated on Coronado? There are probably 10 hotels on the island and the Marriott Coronado is as modern and anything in Downtown and the Loews. The 1906 Lodge is also fairly new.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

make sure you factor in what the parking charge is. pretty pricey downtown/gaslamp. for me, i'd rather stay in a beach area then in a downtown area.

Manchester
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

sorry - I meant Catamaran resort rooms look dated! Looking at it though, it does seem to have things on in the evening which might suit after being out all day. Have not checked parking though!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in San Diego..Where should we base ourselves?

How important is the actual age of the room for you? I stayed in the Catamaran a few years ago and although the rooms were not new they were very clean with good amenities.i.e. a kitchen which was useful.

The pool was a nice area and it was close to restaurants/bars etc.

I stay in a lot of hotels in the US and Europe and can change my mind in a heartbeat if I find that the location is good for my needs and it is spotlessly clean but not so modern internally.

At the Catamaran you will definately get a beach laid back younger vibe whereas at The Grand Hyatt Manchester you will have a good hotel in more of a city atmosphere with lots of great restaurants/bars around, Seaport village etc but the car parking charges could be expensive. Its always horses for courses and just what you feel is your priority.

I am quite sue that there is a charge for parking at The Catamaran but we parked our car in the car park and in the side street close by.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 16:50