We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold-natured

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cold-natured

Hi everyone. I really appreciate all of your help in planning our trip which is less than two weeks away - woohoo! I am getting a little concerned though because as my friends and family have learned where we are vacationing this year, they've all looked at me like I'm crazy and started offering advice about how many coats, etc to bring because I am always cold. Yes, I am very cold-natured even in the middle of our summers here in Texas. I am planning on bringing plenty of layers but I am really wondering how warm my warmest layer should be. I'm thinking about just one sweatshirt and a lightweight fleece jacket. I'll have a couple wraps and scarves but those usually don't help me much. We are staying at Cardiff and plan to spend quite a bit of time outdoors. Any other fair-weathered errr cold-natured peeps out there who can help me out? Thanks!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold-natured

You wear coats in the summer in Texas??? I thought Texas had 90deg.F summers???

No one here in San Diego will be wearing fleece in the summer! Even I would only take the very lightest shawl to wear at night outdoors here at the coast. You know your own body so if you feel best with fleece around you then by all means bring it with you. Layers are always a good idea but only one "warmest" layer would be needed. The rest can be thinner to go underneath.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold-natured

I dont think anybody can answer this for yoy because clearly you are oytside the norm :-) Just look up the average temps and decide what to take based on your comfort level at those temps.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold-natured

Have you considered vacationing in Bahrain or Dubai, instead?....all kidding aside, if you find Texas summers cool/cold, you will probably find San Diego outright North Pole like, barring very freak remnants from a monsoon that work their way up from Mexico when temperatures hit 108 downtown a few years ago--but don't count on that.....fortunately, our sun is very strong so a 75 degree day can feel like 85 elsewhere. Based on that and what you stated, yes, bring a sweatshirt or two with you.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold-natured

Well, if you really wear coats in the middle of August in Texas then I guess you better bring a coat to San Diego in the middle of August:)

Based on what you've said about being cold in summer in Texas then, yes, bring the sweatshirt & fleece. Cardiff is a beach town so you will get ocean air. Bring whatever you wear at home in summer. Layers, layers.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold-natured

Sounds like you should bring a parka, scarf and gloves.

I'm currently sitting in a bar in Notth Park with all of the windows open in a shirt sleeve shirt, jeans and flip flops my wife is shopping down the street and wearing shorts. It's muggy and raining but not cool.

Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cold-natured

Hahaha, y'all are awesome. Perhaps I should clarify a bit. When my fiancé has the house a/c set in the low to mid 70's (no sea breeze), yes you can find me in a sweatshirt and shorts almost anytime in the summer, when it's over a 100 outside. Same for my office which is kept cold, movie theaters etc. At least I wear short sleeves and sleeveless outside during the summer!! A friend of mine said that she had one sweatshirt when she went to San Francisco last month (I realize it's further north) and my Mom said that she took a light wool jacket when they visited several years ago (I guess I come by it naturally).

At least I'll get brownie points for our trip - my fiancé braved hot and humid Key West for me last June and was miserable.

I guess worst case scenario ... I can always buy an extra sweatshirt if I'm miserable! Time will tell :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cold-natured

San Francisco is a whole different story weather wise really has nothing to do with it being further north. It could be 68 degrees and foggy in SF and 10 miles away be 95 and sunny.

Here it can be 15-20 degrees hotter 5-10 miles inland too and you'd still be in the city of San Diego.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cold-natured

Needing a wool jacket in San Francisco is one thing. San Diego has completely different weather.

Also, I don't think you'll find the intense a/c here unless you go into a grocery store or stores in a mall, etc. A lot of local places in Cardiff and along the coast may not have a/c or if they do may not be using it if they have windows that open and outdoor patios.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cold-natured

AHHHH, now I understand. You are more concerned about being cold due to A/C!! The world makes sense again. Unlike Texas and the South, San Diego is not a very "A/C"-centric city. I have never lived in a house that had A/C nor do any of my family and friends who live in San Diego. The parts of the city we, personally, live in do not get that uncomfortably hot for very long during the year, so we normally just get by with lots of fans & open windows. Likewise, while restaurants may have the A/C running, you should be fine with a sweater or sweatshirt. As you said, pack layers & carry a sweatshirt with you. The ocean breeze can get chilly in the evenings, but I normally don't need anything too thick. Just put on a lightweight sweater & maybe some nice jeans if going out to dinner.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 18:34
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,341 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cold-natured

San Francisco and Northern California beaches almost always means "layers"...in terms of packing and clothing.

California as mentioned by all is huge. Its 400 miles from San Diego to San Francisco.

San Diego is pleasant almost any day of the year with dry heat....

but I would still bring a light sweater, coat, etc - but think "layers".

Also bring jeans, etc. - as sometimes they are more comfortable than shorts even in our summer due to moist ocean weather. Its been a bit muggier this summer than normal though at times.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 19:48