We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

Hi,

I am traveling to San Diego with my boyfriend next Thursday through labor day. We are coming in from New York to LA and are driving down to San Diego. Two questions:

Should we stay in Pacific Beach or in the Gaslight area? We are somewhat budget concious but are realistic considering this is pretty last minute. We in our late 20sw and are on this trip to relax, take in the culture, enjoy good food, and hangout outdoors. I'm leaning toward the beach but am concerned it will be pretty sleepy at night which is why we're considering the Gaslight area (but that seems like a hike to the beach?)

We have to drive back up to LA for our flight home, so I was considering making a stop over in another town along the way - Any suggestions? Temecula or Newport Beach (others)?

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,754 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

At this late date with your budget you may just have to take whatever hotel you can find that you can afford. Usually the hotels in Pacific Beach are more expensive than hotels in the gaslamp on summer weekends.

Why don't you check prices and come back with a possible list and we can help you decide.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

You should visit Laguna Beach, on your way back to Los Angeles.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

Thanks _ Sorry about the location mispelling (long day).

I'm thinking of the following places:

Pacific Beach

Catamaran resort and spa

Blue Sea Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel

Vs.

Gaslamp Quarter

Marriott Residence Inn

Hotel Indigo

The Westin

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,754 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

The drive between downtown and Pacific Beach is about 15min. (maybe 20)so not really a long one at all! The challenge may be to find parking at the beach on Labor Day weekend.

You either have to go first thing early in the AM or perhaps in later afternoon when maybe folks are starting to leave. Your decision as to where to stay will be based on where you think you'll be spending more time. There are relaxed beachy bars/restaurants in Pacific Beach but if you want trendy nightclubs and rooftop pool parties then you need to stay downtown. Also add in the charge to park your car at these hotels and the prices may change. The Cat only charges about $15 per day and there's also free parking in the surrounding residential neighborhood while downtown hotels may charge up to $40 a night .

5. Re: Pacfic Beach or GasLight area? Stops between LA & San Deigo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:15