We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 6, where to stay?

Brisbane, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Family of 6, where to stay?

Hi! We are a family of 6, kids aged 16, 14, 11 and 3, we will be staying 4 nights in San Diego towards the end of our 30 day USA trip in April next year.

We are planning to do the zoo and USS Midway, maybe Seaworld and Legoland (depends on whether we've had enough of themeparks after Disneyland, Universal, etc).

I imagine San Diego to be a much needed chill out time for us, with lots of relaxing and dining out, after a very busy few weeks, and before we head to our last stop, Las Vegas, before heading home to Australia!!

Would love recommendations of the best area to stay and any hotels with suites sleeping 6 if possible, although we are also happy to do 2 rooms. Budget is about $500 per night.

Also considering doing a day trip into Tijuana for the experience, any thoughts on this appreciated!

Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

Vacation rental in Old Town or Pacific Beach.

I don't think Tijuana is worth going to any more. If you go, bring your passports.

2. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 15:35
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

Hi Sarsisky - Welcome to San Diego!

I'm assuming you'll have a car to get you around. Do you want to be in a hotel at the beach? Or does it matter? In Pacific Beach you might look at Pacific Terrace. Right on the beach and boardwalk.

The Catamaran is on Mission Bay but a block from the beach and all the restaurants.

Other hotels that have suites: In Downtown The Residence Inn on Pacific Hwy across from the Bay and a short walk to the USS Midway. The Embassy Suites is practically across the street from it.

The Homewood Suites Liberty Station is popular with families because of the free parking, free breakfasts and free dinners / drinks during the week. It's not at the beach or downtown. It's in between. I'm not sure if your teens (or you) would be bored staying there. there's a big park next door with a playground for the 3 yr old but I don't think much else for the teens.

If you don't mind if I express my opinion on visiting Tijuana. With only 3 full days in SD my response is NO. It's not worth the time it takes. Yes, it's close but it can take 2 or 3 hrs to come back to the US across the border if you don't time things right. Locals have a goal when they go there and know how to navigate. You won't be able to take your car to Tijuana. Major No No due to theft and the driving laws. And your children would need to be prepared and told about the proverty and the little kids begging in the street pulling on you. And there are aggressive shop and vendors who will follow you. Border towns don't typically represent Mexico which is a beautiful country. Mexico - deserves it's own trip away from border towns.

You'll have time to visit Old Town for a couple of hours right here. It's the birthplace of California.

http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com/

Legoland would likely bore your kids except for the 3 yr old. All the rides and the experience is geared to small children. But, if all the kids are Lego crazy then they might enjoy it. It's not in San diego but in the city of Carlsbad about a 45 min drive north.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

I'm not sure if they'll rent for only 4 days during spring which is a popular time at the beach but you could check Capri by the Sea. Easter is April 5 next year.

allseasonsresortlodging.com/san-diego/capri-…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

HI,

I agree that with only 3 full days in San Diego you don't really have time for a trip to Mexico.

Legoland is for young children up to about the age of 10 so I doubt if that will be of interest to your group!

The zoo is located inside Balboa Park which is a place to visit as well. It has small museums of all sorts, gardens , hiking trails,outdoor entertainment, live theater, music etc.

Even if you don't go into the museums the Spanish architecture is something to see!

In addition to the USS Midway nearby there's the Maritime Museum with an old sailing ship, and Russian sub. Do check out the web site for both the Midway and the Maritime Museum as they often have special events which may make them even more interesting for your group.

IF you'll have a car then you will have more choices of where you can stay in our city. Many of these suite /hotel choices are best with a rental car.

I don't think the suites at the Catamaran are large enough for your family but 2 might do there. You might look at a villa at the Coronado Marriott or check out the Residence Inns through out the city. They are not in scenic locations except for perhaps the one mentioned above. I live near the "La Jolla" one which is not at the beach but has the feel of an apt. complex with small scattered buildings.

Embassy Suites/La Jolla(again not at the beach) has 2 bedroom suites.

Humphreys Half Moon Inn in our Shelter Island neighborhood also has family suites for 6.

It has a low key Hawaiian feel to it. Shelter Island is a piece of land sticking out into San Diego Bay. It is not really an island.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

@steveu Advertising is not allowed on this site!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

They could rent 2 rooms at the Catamaran if the price is right. I don't know what they'll be during spring.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,235 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

Yes I agree they could rent 2 rooms or suites at the Catamaran.

I said that in my other post.

9. Re: Family of 6, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:16