We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

We will be staying off Grand Avenue and it looks like we will be a ten minute walk to the beach. Looking for good Mexican, Italian and Seafood restaurants. Price point not an issue, just would like to be able to walk. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

I don't have any Mexican in walking distance although there must be some there.

There is a good Spanish (think Spain) restaurant called Costa Brava. My adult English students from Spain suggested we try it several years ago.

The only Italian one I know in the area is Bella Italia.

The restaurant at the Tower 23 Hotel facing the ocean is very good! It is called JRDNs

Not sure it is walking distance but The Fishery has great seafood (but not with a view).

I don't think of this area as a place to find really great upscale dining as a rule. You'd have to drive a bit to find that. This is a low key surfer/beachy neighborhood.

Perhaps others will chime in with more ideas.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

For a Chinese buffet style of eating, the Great Plaza Buffet isn't bad, really. Lots and lots of things to choose from. Right in that same shopping center is Pho Time for Vietnamese and Charlie’s Best Bread, a bakery with many interesting and unusual breads.

For sushi, Sushi Ota, though it is expensive.

For curry, World Curry has a wide selection, specializing of course in curry dishes from various countries.

For Mexican I might suggest Oscar's Mexican Seafood or La Perla Cocina, which are taco shops, not full-service sit-down restaurants.

Sorry but I'm drawing a blank on naming Italian restaurants in Pacific Beach.

There are many others, but overall there are not a lot of upscale, fine-dining restaurants in Pacific Beach. If you go a few miles north into the La Jolla neighborhood, you will find many fine dining places to choose from.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 01:39
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Thanks for your prompt responses. We may have some dinners in and on those days eat lunch out. Which La Jolla restaurants would you recommend for lunch?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Well, if money is no object, I would suggest the Marine Room, because it's a local institution of sorts, built first as a hotel in 1916 and became a restaurant in 1941. It was built directly on the beach and at high tide waves splash against the windows. Many "view" restaurants have poor food or service but I've been to the Marine Room 3 times and I was impressed by the food and service all 3 times. It's definitely expensive, however they usually have a prix-fixe 3-course dinner for $60 or $80 with wine pairings. That's a good deal for the sophisticated international cuisine they serve. Or you could just drop by for drinks and small plates at happy hour and still see the views.

There are many other places, though, and just about every possible cuisine is represented somewhere in La Jolla. If you're looking for an evening out, consider EddieV's, which is a chain, but their La Jolla location has a great ocean view (unfortunately at night the view is lost, of course). They specialize in seafood, and it's also pretty expensive there, but they also have a happy hour menu. There is a live band in the bar upstairs every night, and you can order some food in the bar as well as drinks. We ordered the Bananas Foster in the bar and it arrived on fire, and they had written "Happy Birthday" on the plate in chocolate sauce.

There are many other choices in La Jolla, though, and most I've never been to because I can't pay those prices. Nine-Ten is really good but also costly, though they also offer 3-course dinners, for $55 or $75 with wines. My friend says Herringbone is good for seafood but I haven't been there yet so I can't really comment on it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Hi,

George's at the Cove is quintessential California cuisine.

http://www.georgesatthecove.com/

Su Casa is a Mexican restaurant that has been around for years and years!

We haven't been there in a long time.

http://www.sucasarestaurant.com/cuisine.html

There are many others.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

For good restaurants in La Jolla, George's Modern, Prepkitchen, Nine Ten and Whisknladle.

In Pacific Beach, JRDN and The Fishery are probably the nicest. For nice Italian in PB look at Enoteca Adriano. For an old school, NY Italian spot look at Filippi's.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Good local places to eat in PB:

Kono’s – breakfast & lunch only (Boardwalk)

The Eggery – Nice place for breakfast and lunch (Mission)

World Famous – A favorite of mine and many others (Boardwalk)

Tower 23 / Jordan – Probably the best food at the beach (Boardwalk)

Thai Village – My favorite Thai in the area (Mission)

Surfside Sushi – Thumbs up from many of my Japanese friends (Mission)

Cass Street Bar & Grill - Great food and also a local hangout (Cass)

Kafe Yen Asian Cuisine – Good Asian mixed (Garnet)

Firehouse Café – Recently remodeled, good food and a mixed crowd

Ramiro's – Fast-food Mexican, the chicken burrito! (Mission)

Marino’s – Mom and Pop Italian, my favorite in SD (Ingraham St.)

Costa Brava – Great happy hour with Spanish tapas – (Garnet)

Cafe 976 – My favorite coffee shop (Cass)

The Fishery – Considered one of the best places for fish in San Diego (Cass)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

I have had a lovely Lobster Salad at World Famous on the boardwalk with a nice view. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years. But I enjoyed sitting there eating this nice salad.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

Glad pbhomey came to our rescue with his local favorites!!

He has lived in Pacific Beach for a long time!!

We often have lunch/brunch at World Famous! I describe it as a kind of low key diner with a great ocean view! I love the lobster eggs Benedict !

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pacific Beach restaurants for next week

You are amazingly helpful. Thanks for the great ideas.