We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Ohio
Level Contributor
440 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

We are planning to take a guided jeep tour of Canyon de Chelly in early May...thanks to the advice of TA. On that day, we will be coming from Santa Fe. Mapquest says that it will take 4 hours and 40 minutes ...but, realistically, it will probably be closer to 6 hours depending on traffic, road conditions and stops. That would get us to CDC about 2-2:30 pm We are hoping to take the tour starting about that time or slightly later. Hopefully, I will be able to set a tour up at that time prior to our arrival. My question though is ....is it safe to drive the 77 miles on rt 191 from Chinle to Chambers on I 40 to stay the night. The price of the hotel in chambers is less then 1/2 the price of trying to stay in any of the three hotels in Chinle. I'm not sure when sunset is in early May and if we would be driving in the dark...which I do not think that I want to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Safe? You'd have to watch carefully for wildlife on the road, but other than that the drive should be okay.

On the other hand, I searched for reviews of the Days Inn in Chambers - none on TA - the only other ones I found rated the motel very poorly. Plus you are looking at a very long day already, and the Thunderbird Lodge and Best Western are nice and both have reasonably priced restaurants.

If you do go back to Chambers, I'd get dinner in Chinle.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

It's certainly not a difficult drive, no dangerous cliff faces or mountain passes, it's more or less dead straight and there's very little traffic. But after such a long day I'd still recommend spending the night in Chinle.

Ohio
Level Contributor
440 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Well...we have talked it over and think that we shall stay the night and possibly do the tour in the morning instead in the late afternoon. That's for all of your help.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

I think you would be much "safer" staying in Chinle. There is not much in the area once you get outside of Chinle and if you ran into a problem you could be stuck. The hotels in Chinle are all decent and reasonably priced. I have not stayed in Chambers but have passed through there a couple of times on I40 and it did not impress me as a place I would want to stay.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

You won't be driving though Chambers between Santa Fe and Chinle. Get on 491 north from Gallup (formerly us666) and turn left to Window Rock to 191 and north from there. Maybe have something to eat and drink at El Rancho in Gallup. Great lobby also. Without stops you easily can get between Santa fe and Chinle within 5 hours driving this way.

Window Rock is the headquarter of the Navajo Nation and Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado is worth a stop also.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Your revised plan is much better.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Good choice indeed! I can second what Thelrose said ... Over the years I've stayed at three different hotels in Chinle and I've been happy with all of them, not too expensive, clean, friendly staff ... I havne't stayed in cahmerbs either, but again, I wouldn pt want to either from what you see (okay, looks can be deceptive, true, but this is about your convenvince and ease, too.) So if you take the tour the next morning you ciuld use the afternoon - from whenever you've arrived and checked in, to drive the the rim to the various overlooks. Choose south rim if you can do just one and go to the back, then work your way forward. You don't have to stop at all of them, but make sure you see Spider Rock.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Esty, did you steal my IPad?

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

LOL ... oh man ... No, but I must have bought its twin brother - still wondering what kind of archaic language they have programmed into them though - Chambers, Chambers ... we do have bugs in Arizona after all - keyboard bugs ... and no known repellent - well yes, reading more carefully before entering ...

Ohio
Level Contributor
440 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Canyon de Chelly question...logistical??

Thanks everyone....now, hopefully, I can get reservations today for these changes. But...taking the jeep tour in the am makes for a more relaxing travel day the previous day coming from Santa Fe. We would not have had time to see the rim overlooks or Hubbel trading post which we can now do on the driving day from Santa Fe. This also hopefully, still leaves us time to stop and see Wuptaki and Walnut Canyon on our way to Sedona that day? You all have been most helpful.....this trip was originally supposed to be a few days in New Mexico and Arizona which we had never seen and a stop to see one of our sons in Kansas. It has now mushroomed into almost 3 weeks.......