We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Higgins Restaurant

Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Higgins Restaurant

We recently learned that Captain Higgins Restaurant at the wharf closed as the owners were just burned out from the business. Has anything new gone into that space? We loved Captain Higgins -- the food was wonderful, location was terrific -- we will definitely miss it.

Truro
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

Sorry to report it is still closed. Try Van Rensaller's (sp.?) - locals call it "V.R.'s" which is out on Rte. 6 across from the Marconi Station site. They have excellent seafood & very nice waitstaff. Very reasonable prices for exceptionally fine dining...

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

Winsow's Tavern (where Aesops' Table once was) is a good bet.

Other recs are The Wicked Oyster and Mac's Seafood Shack (look for the boat on the roof).

enjoy!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

If you want sea food you might try Moby (explitive delted)'s Restaurant (this site won't let me put in the full, correct name as it considers it a profanity!! Think the nickname for Richard. You know, the name of the book about the white whale!!! ), right on Route 6. Rustic ambiance, no alcohol (you can bring your own -- no problem). Excellent food, decent prices. One of my wife's and my favorites.

Marconit Beach, also right on Route 6, but several miles south of town center. The place to go if you want BBQ or fried chicken. We enjoy that place as well. They serve alcohol.

Wellfleet is a very nice town. Enjoy.

Rich

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

Yes, Capt. Higgins is gone. The building is now a real estate office or something. A shame. I think I had my very first lobster there when I was a kid!

We discovered a great place to eat this past visit (July 10-17). Try Catch of the Day on Rt. 6 near Marconi Beach. Amazing food. Reasonable prices. Half price steamers and mussel buckets 3-5 every day! Nice people...(But the view can't compare to what they had at Capt. Higgins)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

The Book Store restaurant around the corner from the harbour in Wellfleet is pleasantly situated opposite the beach and has very good food.

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

Oh no! Captain Higgins was my favorite while we rented in Wellfleet. Haven't been out there for two years and this news is very, very sad. I have awesome memories of fresh seafood and light white wine on hot summer nights. Ahhhhh......RIP Captain!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

A new restaurant is opening at the Capt Higgins site this summer (2009).

Rich

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

We loved Captain Higgins in the day. What's going in there? It's a great spot.

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

That's great news, RichCapeCod. Thanks for the update. Nothing else in Wellfleet really compares to the ambience, location and fresh seafood that once belonged to Higgins. Let's hope the new owners an capture that spirit.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Higgins Restaurant

Will the new restaurant be a year-round place? Seems like the existing restaurants have a hard time making ends meet so it will be interesting to see who is brave enough to open another place in this economy.

Get answers to your questions about Wellfleet