We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellfleet Vacation help

Bloomsbury, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Wellfleet Vacation help

Hi everyone,

My family and I are headed to Wellfleet mid-July for the first time and I am super excited! It will be my little girls first time at the beach.

I just had a couple of questions...

We are renting a house on kendrick ave and I would like for the most part just to park our car and walk wherever we need to get to in Wellfleet. I was wondering how are the streets on wellfleet, from Kendrick ave can you walk to the center town ok with a toddler in a wagon? sidewalks?

Also I wanted to know what are Can't Miss things in wellfleet? Anyone have a fav restaurant? shop? etc..

Thanks!

Kristyn

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Wow! What a coincidence...Kristyn: please look for my pm re: finding information about Cape Cod too! ;)

Bloomsbury, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Thanks everyone for your great advice/suggestions about Wellfleet and Cape Cod. I definately am going to hit up some of the places to eat. Might check out the ocean beaches one day but I know I would be a freakish 1st time mom with Abby so I think i might stick to the bay beaches/ponds. Was just looking for some things that one a couple of days we could do to without shuffling Abby in and out of the car all the time. So your suggestions are great.

The week we are going up is my birthday week so my husband and I were thinking of hitting up the Drive In for my birthday. Also seems like we might have to hit up Moby's (censored lol) for dinner.

I also saw a place called Zooquarium in Yarmouth which I thought would be a neat place to go for Abby.

Any more suggestions are definately welcome :)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Kristyn: I'd take a pass on the zooquarium. However, you and Abby might enjoy the seals at the Fish Pier in Chatham on Shore Road. They hang around the fishing boats waiting for 'snacks' when the boats return with their afternoon catch. You can pick up decent seafood to go (cooked or freshly filleted right off the fish!) from Nickerson's Fish Market adjacent to the pier.

You'll be close enough to visit Provincetown for an afternoon too. Be sure to hit the LobsterPot for good lobster rolls.

Have a great visit; there's something for everyone. (I think your idea to stick to Bay beaches is a good one. The Atlantic beaches, while beautiful, have challenging swimming conditions and cold water.) Again, have fun planning.

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

When I was a little kid my parents would take me to the ocean beaches in the evening – I’d have a Cape Cod hoodie on and my little pants rolled as high as they would go and I’d basically run around in the surf with my sand pail not really getting in the water. If anything I was looking to outrun those icy cold waves. That might be a good option for you to really check out those beaches but not have the stress of Abby looking to go for a swim – bring your camera because it’s a great photo op. I have a good feeling it’s really the kettle ponds that you’ll love for day time swimming.

For dinner I also like PJ’s along Rt. 6 in Wellfleet – it’s nothing fancy but its good food and it’s a good place to get an ice cream cone. It’s a little bit of a drive but along those lines I also like Arnold’s down in Eastham (my favorite lobster roll) – they have mini-golf there too so the place is always crawling with kids.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

From the reviews The Zooquarium sounds like a place that you'll like more if you are very young. You can check to see if it sounds right for you at www.zooquariumcapecod.net.

I haven't been inside but I was struck by reading about it a while back in the Cape Cod Times. The Times was getting the whole story and interviewing the owner who was still amazed to have recently hosted Bill Clinton and his niece or nephew.

Anyway, this place may or may not have sea lions. It gets busy on cloudy or rainy days. Many of the animals would have died if they were not brought there. You'll see some farm animals but the other land and sea creatures are native to the Cape.

Here's a review from someone on TA in January:

Had to give a shout out to ZooQuarium.

I have been visiting this place on the Cape since I was a kid and always love it. You get to feed, observe, and learn about animals. Super fun when you are little, and funnier when your older. Easy to fit into the day. The place had seal/sea lion shows until recently. Every time I visited it was some dolphin/seal/sea lion being rehabilitated to be released or physically incapable of being released. They played with them and cared for them. Neat to see if your interested in marine life at any age. Hope they can help more out again. If you don't catch the show you still have a zany little farm and aquarium that's fun. Bring some extra quarters for the machines that hold the farmyard feed!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

You can read all the ZooQuarium TA reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41922-d10…

The sea lions are unfortunately, no longer alive. The place has been described as having 'mundane' exhibits in TA reviews.

If it rains, it'll be Packed and if it isn't raining, the zooquarium will be the absolutely Wrong place to be on a gorgeous day on the Cape. In my opinion. :)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Other things for you to check out:

The Wellfleet Public Library on West Main St. is available to all Wellfleet vacationers and has children't story hour times.

Don't forget to check out the programs that will be available with the National Seashore. Is Abby too young to enjoy a bonfire on the beach and stories told by park rangers?

Lastly is this publication: http://www.kidsonthecape.com/

From all the input you've received over your several posts it looks like you'd better double your vacation time huh? LOL.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Hi Jersey Girl,

Here are my favorite restaurant by towns (close by Wellfleet):

Eastham:

Arnold's Clam Bar-Best fried seafood, chowder and lobsters hands down and also has an ice cream stand for desert.

Red Barn-Best pizza, salads and subs at a very reasonable price and kid-friendly atmosphere

Fairway Restaurant-I have only been here for breakfast but I'm sure the other meals are very good also

Orleans:

Hot Chocolate Sparrow-best coffee and desert bar with excellent candy/fudge selection

Sundae School- Great ice cream sundaes (get your ice cream after dinner and then take a ride down to Nauset or Skaket Beach to watch the sunset

Land Ho!-Pub type menu with very good sandwiches

Things to do with kids:

1.Take a hike at the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary

2.Spend the day at Skaket Beach (bay side beach with warm, shallow water perfect for children)

3.Vist the Cape Cod Lighthouse on Rte 6. (Free)

4.Spend a day in Provincetown where you can go on a whale watch, climb to the top of the monument or cruise the shops.While in P-Town visit the Portuguese Bakery on Commercial St. and get Portuguese fried dough(Malasada) for the the kids.

5.Bring the kids to Pirates Cove in Orleans for mini golf.

6.Visit Salt Pond Visitor center for information on the National Seashore Beaches

7.Rent bikes and take a ride on the Cape Cod Rail trail

I could go on and on but I'm sure you'll want to do your own exploring.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

hi chattycathi: What a great list! thanks for taking the time to post!

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Wellfleet Vacation help

Don't miss Winslow's Tavern in Wellfleet:

(www.winslowstavern.com).

316 Main Stret and walkable from Kendrick Ave.

Winslow's has great food and service, and the owners are very understanding of children, having 2 children under age 3 themselves. Back when I lived year-round on Cape Cod I could come to this grown-up restaurant in the afternoon or evening with my own toddler in tow and I always felt very welcome.

The owner's brother/family also owns the famed Moby Dick's on route 6. Always great for lunch, a bit of a hike without a car. Also great for kids.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Wellfleet