We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellfleet with our 4 year old

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
Wellfleet with our 4 year old

Just wondered if anyone knows which is nicer. The Colony in Wellfleet or Surfside Cottages? Don't know the area at all, so am curious which is near a nicer beach, and also, which might be better maintained. Thanks for any insight. Best

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,558 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

I have never stayed at either but they are in completely different locations. Surfside is on the ocean side of Wellfleet on the National Seashore and adjacent to one of the town beaches.

The Colony is located off Chequesset Neck Rd. on the bay side of Wellfleet. I assume there is some sort of beach access across the street from the Colony or nearby. While the bay water is calmer the beach is smaller.

I would stay at Surfside. I think that would be more fun for a 4 year-old to have a big beach to run around and waves to dodge. We've often seen seals off the beach there. I would also assume that Surfside would have more families, where the Colony was originally started as a sort of artist's and writer's retreat--though it may be quite different now in clientele. I would ask.

Wellfleet...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

I live in Wellfleet. Most 4 year olds love the warmer water and small waves at the Bay and Harbor beaches. When the tide goes out twice a day you can hunt for pretty rocks and look for sea creatures. At the colony you are in a cottage/house right near the center of town. The other place is on a bluff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Big dramatic beach, beautiful setting but not all kids like the bigger waves and longer walk back home. As an adult I much prefer the ocean beaches, my kids didn't. Wherever you stay you can buy a permit to go to any beach and you and your kid might prefer the ponds anyway, warm fresh water, no waves, very clean.

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

Hi, It is so funny that you say the colony because every year sense I was a little kid we have rented a house across the street from there, it is a great place to go, definitly go to wellfleet. I'll say that it is probably a 10 minute drive to the beach but that is similar to most places in wellfleet and on the cape. The great part about the colony is that it is near the bay which is beautiful and is almost a beach in your backyard. It is very shallow water and in no way is the ocean but it is probably more scenic than the ocean and is a great place to go take a walk.

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

Hi, It is so funny that you say the colony because every year sense I was a little kid we have rented a house across the street from there, it is a great place to go, definitly go to wellfleet. I'll say that it is probably a 10 minute drive to the beach but that is similar to most places in wellfleet and on the cape. The great part about the colony is that it is near the bay which is beautiful and is almost a beach in your backyard. It is very shallow water and in no way is the ocean but it is probably more scenic than the ocean and is a great place to go take a walk.

New Canaan...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

I agree that a 4 year old would like the bay beaches better. You don't have to worry about getting knocked down by waves, lots of little crabs to "capture", etc. Go to the pier, get an ice cream and look at boats. There is also a playground down by the Pier, also a playground at the elementary school.

6. Re: Wellfleet with our 4 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 04:15