We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Topic
Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

We have used Chequessett Village Real Estate for years when, recently they merged with Oceanview. We rented a house and want to alert others that they no longer provide honest, full disclosure about their rental properties. Then, while they will be glad to talk to you, it is entirely for the opportunity to deny any problem. One of the four bedrooms was in the basement, smelled intensely from mold and mildew while the basement was closed up and two humidifiers running (as per instructions!). Subsequently, after opening up the basement to the air, as best as possible, the very strong odor remained. The agent who stopped by while we were out, could not smell anything! In the past, we would have been informed of a basement bedroom so we could have made an informed choice. While I asked about the layout of the house, I was told that they did not know. In the past, I was always given a description of the layout. It was so disappointing since a queen sized bed was very unpleasant to use. I preferred to sleep on a sofa to sleeping downstairs since I am allergic (and so are others in my family)!

57 replies to this topic
Albany, New York
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

It is nice to see someone else had trouble with Oceanview Realty. We rented property and left it immaculate. I was later charge $50 for an "undisclosed fee". When I called I was told we stained the counters and beds. We did NO such thing. Upon explaining I would pay the fee but wanted them to know we did NOT do it I was called a liar. In addition, there was NO explanation in my contract about addition cleaning fees. I will never use this company again as they are RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL. I would never leave someone else's home in a way I would not want mine left.

Thank you for your post

San Diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

We had an even worse experience, but we got it documented. Upon arrival at our rental in August 2013 we found numerous problems. We contacted the Town of Orleans Health Department and asked them to conduct an inspection. They eventually wrote a report that listed numerous violations of the State Sanitary Code, including various issues of safety, structural integrity, availability of required appliances, cleanliness, and the determination that a loft which was advertised as a sleeping area is a legally uninhabitable space. We advised the realty agency of our concerns and Jim Collins (owner/broker) personally inspected the property in my presence during the rental, but declined to take any action. The lease we had been required to sign to rent the property includes various elements that are very unusual. For example, the lease states that there will be no refund for failure of items deemed under the contract to be non-essential including appliances, broken windows, and broken doors; although these items are generally required to be in existence and in good order to rent a property under the State Sanitary Code. The lease also requires the tenant to hold the agent and landlord harmless for various issues. We have filed a complaint with the appropriate licensing authorities. You stated, "Then, while they will be glad to talk to you, it is entirely for the opportunity to deny any problem." That was precisely our experience, but because the Health Department inspected the property and eventually determined that the rental was uninhabitable, we have more than our opinion. Be forewarned.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 00:25
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

Sorry for your trouble but I have to ask, why would you sign such a lease?

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

I don't want to "jump" this thread -- but -- as an owner of a single property that I rent out, it's frustrating to read about what a great idea it is to rent through a realtor to avoid unpleasant surprises from private homeowners. Those who think realtors are a safe alternative might remember this experience.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

Kendrick: Fair question. This was a last minute rental at a time when there were few alternatives. The "no sue" clause seems fairly standard in the area in my experience, although we checked and found it is unenforceable under Massachusetts law. The other clause was a red flag and we tried to get it removed prior to signing, but they refused, so our alternative was no rental or to sign. As LoonMountainMan alludes, we relied on an assumption that a licensed real estate agent in an upscale community would be reputable.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

Did this rental happen to be on Hiawatha Road in Wellfleet?

Edited: 09 June 2014, 02:07
San Diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

No it was in Orleans.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

Has anyone had any more recent problems with this company? I have to say that we have had several rentals over the years with musty smells. It's sometimes a fact of life with older houses and the climate on the Cape.

Oceanview has a couple of rentals which are of interest to us this year, so would like to know whether there is an ongoing problem or whether the problems experienced by people on this post are anomalies.

We have no personal experience with them.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 21:10
Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

As one of the owners of Cape Cod Oceanview Realty , and someone who takes the above allegations very seriously ....I can tell you this ;

We service approximately one thousand five hundred rentals per year and the two complaints that you see here are the only two negative posts that we have encountered since we started our company in 2011. We have made it our policy to make every effort to offer the best homes for rent to our renters. We make every effort to advise our homeowners to keep their homes in the best of conditions . We make every effort to attend to any issues that arise during every one of our renters' vacations, in fact we practically jump through hoops to ensure a great vacation to all who come through our doors ! And , frankly we have an extremely high satisfaction rate , super positive response , and an amazing amount of repeat renters from all over the world...year after year.

You can feel free to call me personally at any time and I would be happy to assist you . I give you my word that you will be happy you rented with us . You can find our telephone number on our website and ask to speak to the owner personally , tell them Susan said to call.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?

There are actually three negative posts.

Reply to: Have you used untrustworthy Cape Cod Oceanview Realty?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellfleet