We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost colony-trip to Manteo

Which Manteo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lost colony-trip to Manteo

Hi we are thinking of taking a day trip to Manteo (we are staying in northern obx).

Any tips on places to see, such as a nice beach to picnic at?

Also we have not purchased tickets for the Lost colony, can this be done at short notice? Any other tips for this and other local sites, like pirates cove and Roanoke aquarium? Call all 4 be done in one day??

Thanks!!

2 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost colony-trip to Manteo

I can't comment on the Lost Colony, I have been around here since 1988 and never have been to see it. There are no beaches once you leave Nags Head going west on the causeway to Manteo. I would suggest you stop at Jennette's pier and park there and go out on the pier or the beach there. The nourished beach there is awesome.

Take a trip to the Manteo waterfront and roam around there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost colony-trip to Manteo

In Manteo, you'll want to see Festival Park. It's small, but nice. There is a replica sailing ship you can tour, and various outdoor exhibits on native americans and colonists of the time. Exhibits on NC wildlife also. Very interactive. There is also an area where kids can hunt for fossils.

Elizabethan Gardens is nice. It's at the Ft Raleigh Historic Site.

For the Lost Colony - I believe you should be able to get tickets spur of the moment - depends, though. It is known to sell out on busy days... might not be too bad now, though.

The waterfront area is nice. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. There are several places to sit and eat a picnic lunch among the shops along Queen Elizabeth Ave. Nice little ice cream shop, too.

Never been to the aquarium, so can't comment on that.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!

Reply to: Lost colony-trip to Manteo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manteo