We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Manteo?

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Topic
What to do in Manteo?

I am headed to Manteo this July. I have rented a home on pirates cove. This is my first time ever going back East (I am from the west). I am excited to be out there and see the ocean and play on the beach. I will be there only 1 week the first of July and want to see the cool things that I can. I will have four children that range from 4 - 17. Any suggestions on must see attractions, and things to do while we are there?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
4 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Manteo?

Being in Pirates Cove is half way between Nags Head and Manteo. It is a gated community with canals, boats, fishing fleet and 3 swimming pools. Rec center, tennis, bike paths and you can use a golf cart to scoot around. It is the closest thing we have to a resort area here. Be sure to be around the boat docks at 4pm when the fishing boats come in and unload. There is a new restaurant in the clubhouse there that should be awesome - Blue Moon Grill I think - it's very new.

Be sure to visit the waterfront in Manteo which is about 5-8 miles away. Lots of little shops, places to eat, boats and more. A trip the the Aquarium is just a few miles farther into Manteo and the airport is next door. Go sit on the deck and watch the banner plane pick up and drop off those huge advertising banners. If you have never seen how they do it you might be surprised.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 22:48
Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Manteo?

See The Lost Colony play, go yo the Elizabethan Gardens, the Outer banks history museum, shop. The Wharf Restaurant in Wanchese is a good local place.

Mentioned in this post
The Lost Colony
The Lost Colony
765 Reviews
Roanoke Island, NC
Elizabethan Gardens
Elizabethan Gardens
609 Reviews
Roanoke Island, NC
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Manteo?

thelostcolony.org is where all the events at the Waterside Theater are listed, they have family programs and backstage tours in addition to the play. The waterfront at Manteo has been mentioned, there is a small playground near the waterfront also.

The Aquarium has already been mentioned, and it has some new exhibits this year. the Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center at Manteo is very interesting and has kid-friendly exhibits.

It will be an easy drive to Jennette's Pier in Nag's Head, there is a playground by the parking area there, and you can walk out on the pier. www.jennettespier.net

You can park at Jenette's Pier and access the beach there, or go south on Old Oregon Inlet road from there and park at one of the many beach access points. Hargrove St access has bathhouse and lifeguard stand. This link has complete list:

http://www.nagsheadnc.gov/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={C54CE526-C0F0-4E8A-AF12-FD863A12166E}

Drive south across the Bonner Bridge and visit the National Park Pea Island Visitor Center if you have time.

Mentioned in this post
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Jennette's Pier
Jennette's Pier
1,244 Reviews
Nags Head, NC
Kershaw, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Manteo?

We spent an afternoon and night in Manteo. Saw a concert while we were there. It started at 7 and was over around 10 pm. We couldn't find anywhere that was open serving food except McDonalds. There were a couple of bars still open, but not serving food. Be sure to eat early because they roll up the sidewalks.

Mentioned in this post
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Reply to: What to do in Manteo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manteo