We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy gas?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy gas?

If I leave Torrey on highway 24 going east, then turn south on highway 95 to just south east of Natural Bridges N.M. and turn south on highway 261 to the town of Mexican Hat, where will I find gasoline along the way? It looks to me (on the map) to be about 200 miles.

Are there any commercial businesses at Fry Canyon? What happened to the motel?

Is there anything (meaning anything) at Hite? I've never been on that stretch of 95.

Thanks! I'm helping a friend with trip planning.

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy gas?

I don't think there's anything between Hanksville and Blanding.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy gas?

Tell your friend not to count on anything at Fry Canyon. Gas up at Hanksville. Even though it's only about 200 miles, it will take your friend close to four hours from Torrey to Mexican Hat. Nothing worth getting out of the car for at Hite.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,915 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy gas?

Due to a flood in Hanksville last year (though all services still open)and low water still at Hite, (no services currently) and last time I saw Fry Canyon shut up tight it is going to be a long gas-less stretch of road.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy gas?

The other advice is correct, afaik. Fry Canyon Lodge is listed as closed on their website; I presume this means the gas station as well. Top off the tank in Hanksville. Some sections of UT 95 are stunningly scenic. The last time I drove it, you couldn't even see the awful reservoir when crossing the bridge at Hite--I suspect this is still the case that you get to see the wonderful sight of a free flowing Colorado River again.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy gas?

Danny asked me to confirm this info and having driven exactly this route yesterday...

Gas in Torrey, Hanksville, Blanding+, Mexican Hat.

Hite is off the main route by quite a bit and I think there is no gas there, it's on the other end of the ferry trip at Bullfrog (haven't been there for a few years, not being a fan of the reservoir).

Fry Canyon is currently closed for sure, don't know what will happen during the year, gas supply was never reliable there as far as I can remember.

bob

+There is a Sinclair at the junction of 191 and 95 and a Mobil station a few miles west of the junction.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy gas?

Thanks to each and every one of you! It helps a lot.

7. Re: Where to buy gas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 09:19