We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

We will be driving to Torrey/ Route 12/ Bryce Canyon on the first full day of a trip to Utah at the end of August. We'll be flying into Salt Lake City at around 6:30 pm on our first night, and would like to get a head start on the drive to Torrey by staying somewhere along the route on that first night (instead of staying in Salt Lake City). We'd probably be able to handle up to a 2 hour drive that first night. Looks like some options would be staying in Nephi, Scipio, or Salina.

Any thoughts on how long it would take to get to these areas and what would be the safest option (considering it will likely be getting dark by the time we'll be approaching our destination, and we're not familiar with the area).

We're just trying to maximize our time on Route 12 the next day with the goal of landing in Bryce Canyon (Tropic) on our second night. It seems like a long trek to start in SLC, drive to Torrey, drive Route 12 and end up in Bryce Canyon all in one day.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Hondoo Rivers and Trails
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Photography Tours
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

Given your timing I think I would just head straight down I15 to Scipio where I think the only hotel is the Super 8 so you should make reservations. That will take about 2 hours, if you want to continue on another hour to Salina there are a couple of motels there. The road from Scipio to Salina is a good 2 lane road, shouldn't cause any problems and leads right into Salina (I've ridden my motorcycle along it in a snow storm!)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,245 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

I would not stay in Scipio. It will be about 1 1/2 hrs to Nephi where you would have the most options. It will be dark about 8:30. So assuming about an hour at the airport to get started you'd be arriving to Nephi about 9pm. I've never stayed there so can't recommend anything.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward driving to Salina that first night (you think maybe about 3 hours?). That would take such a huge chunk off of the drive the next day and allow to us to relax a little more and enjoy Route 12 instead of feeling like we have to rush to make it to Bryce that night.

If anyone has any other ideas about good pit stops partway between SLC and Torrey or any hotel advice in Salina (The Rodeway Inn seems to get the best reviews on TA), let me know.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Help - Drive from Salt Lake City to Torrey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 05:17