We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
59 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

I am headed from Bryce Canyon to Moab and have two days in between. We are going to be in Utah for a mountain biking/hiking 3 week vacation and need to figure out where to stop near Grand Staircase and/or Capitol Reef. I am debating between Boulder and Torrey. I am not sure what is better: Capitol Reef or Grand Staircase for some biking/hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated, including good hikes, restaurants, biking trails.

Thanks!

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Well- I haven't biked in either one, but you have 1 amazing restaurant in each town. Torrey has Cafe Diablo, and Boulder has the world-renowned Hell's Backbone Grill. If I was selecting based on retaurants, Hell's would win out a bit. You've never been anywhere like it. But they're both amazing destinations, so we'll let some with biking knowledge chime in for more help... :)

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Sorry, no experience with mountain biking, so no help with your specific questions. I have stayed in Torrey and can say that Cafe Diablo is excellent, but I do not have the reference for comparison with Boulder and Hell's Backbone.

I do have a suggestion: Since you are planning a three week vacation, perhaps you could post your overall plan and let folks provide input and suggestions based on seeing the big picture. You might get more ideas and end up with a better overall plan that way. Just a suggestion.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Mountain biking is not well developed in either area, around Torrey the trails tend to either be sandy or rocky with little slickrock or forest type trails. There may be a bit more of that in the Escalante area where I know there is some slickrock. Hiking is probably better in Capitol Reef with quite a few developed trails and lots of opportunity for impromptu hikes. You will get all the mountain biking you can handle in Moab so perhaps more hiking in this area?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,646 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Funny, but honestly the difference is in the restaurants. We happen to love Hell's Backbone so we always choose Boulder. Neither area is that interesting for mountain biking. Both areas offer great hiking. I do think that the slot and Escalante River hikes off Hole in the Rock Road (Picabo, Spooky, etc.), plus Calf's Creek, are world class.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

I like to mountain bike to Powell Point,but the access to that is on the other side of the mountain from Hwy 12 near Pine Lake,just north of Bryce.Boulder is a nice place to stay,especially the Boulder Mountain Lodge,which shares the property with Hells Backbone Grill.If you stay there request upstairs overlooking the lake.Very peaceful place.

You could road bike the Burr trail.That is a pretty run.Starts just outside the front door of the hotel.It would be an out and back though.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
59 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

Here is my general itinerary:

Zion: 3 nights of camping and days of hiking

Bryce: 2 nights of camping and days of hiking

Then I have 2 nights somewhere (this is where I am thinking Torrey or Boulder.

Then we have 6 nights in Moab hiking and biking

Then another night, probably near Page after going through Monument Valley

Then 2 nights at the North Rim for hiking to Roaring Springs

Then home (3 days probably by the time we get out of Grand Canyon)

I already have Zion, Bryce, Moab and Grand Canyon booked. I was hoping to do some hiking and short warm up biking in Torrey or around Torrey. I have heard that Goblin Valley State Park is cool, and thought we would check it out on the way to Moab.

All information is appreciated! Cheers!

I should add that I have been at all of these places (except Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase), and am looking for some local gems if you have them. First thing to do at Zion: Hike Angel's Landing (I went there with my parents 15 years ago, and we didn't do much hiking).

Edited: 25 February 2011, 03:06
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

You might also check out Little Wild Horse Canyon just opposite Goblin Valley.

8. Re: Itinerary Question: Torrey or Boulder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 22:15